cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure VMServer and Migrate the SAP instances

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have already 5 instance installed on Windows 2008 SP2 Server (4 Processors & 64 GB RAM) and MS SQL Server 2008.

We are planning to configure VMWareand migrate all our instance to migrate to each V Machines

Please give some details, how to migrate all our instance into Virtual servers. I have gone through some of the documents, but i am not clear how to start.

Regards

Ponnusamy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

in Vmware system Copy is a good feature where a running system can be copied to a Virtual machine ( vmware ). and make sure that once after doing this you have to check the hostname and ip address and chenge immediately or else you will get some conflicts.

And for your kind information i think once you change th ipaddress of the machine once after installation of sap you might get some problem.

Thanks

Santhose

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are planning for Hyper-V based virtualization, which is inbuilt feature of Windows 2008 R2 Server.

Here is my server Configurations and sap instances on that server

HDD u2013 6TB

RAM - 64 GB

OS u2013 Win 2K8 R2

DB u2013 SQL Server 2K8 R2

&

SAP SRM 7.0

SAP MDM 7.1

SAP NW EP 7.01

SAP ECC IDES 6.04

SAP CE 7.2

SAP PI7.1 EHP1

Here are my doubts

1. When we enable the Hyper-V role and configure VM, Is there any change happens in Network or LAN settings

2. We plan to Homogeneous system copy to move SAP instance to VM

2. will it possible to run sap applications on Host machine and VM parallely.

3. What points I have to consider before starting Configure VM

Regards

Ponnusamy

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Here are my doubts

> 1. When we enable the Hyper-V role and configure VM, Is there any change happens in Network or LAN settings

What do you mean with "change happen"?

> 2. We plan to Homogeneous system copy to move SAP instance to VM

> 2. will it possible to run sap applications on Host machine and VM parallely.

Read

Note 1246467 - Hyper-V Configuration Guideline

This should not be done.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

"any change happen" any network settings change, IP change etc..

Regards

Ponnusamy

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> "any change happen" any network settings change, IP change etc..

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

The installation of Hyper-V will not change IP addresses or the like. You will have to do this. But should not install Hyper-V on a machine that has already SAP systems on it. The hypervisor itself has to run exlusively, otherwise you will have big trouble setting systems up and sharing resources.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can also use the VMware P2V Converter:

http://www.vmware.com/products/converter/

But be aware that this creates an exact copy of your system. The safest way is a homogenous system copy, indeed.

bernd_speckmann
Contributor
0 Kudos

If you use P2V conversion of VMware, be aware of proprietary software like HP Network Management tools etc...

The could cause problems.

Regards, Bernd

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The "safest" way of doing this is doing a homogeneous system copy, means, install the OS on VMWare and start the system copy process according to the system copy guide.

That procedure may be more work than using VMWare migration tools but you have then a clean environment with no wrong drivers (from the original hardware).

Markus