cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transparent .png images presenting with black background

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all...searched all types of help on this issue, but no luck so far.

Using Xcelsius Enterprise (SP3) and I've previously imported images with transparent background (.png files) using the image component and on preview and export to ppt, all images displayed perfectly.

Not sure what happened, but now when exported to ppt. User's see a black background around all images.

I thought it might have something to do with another add-in toolbar I had in ppt. But, when I export to Word or pdf...still get the black background on all images. These images are definitely transparent backgrounds and when viewed in Adobe or straight ppt slide (in presentation mode) they are transparent.

I'm stuck and can't really use any of my dashboard presentations at the moment because of the black image issue.

Hoping someone can recommend some other troubleshooting tips to solve this....

Thanks much!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (9)

Answers (9)

sapanesh_agnihotri
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is issue is consistant for all the themes?

Thanks,

Sapanesh

former_member184839
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sapnesh,

Yeah this issue is persisting with every theme.

Regards,

Sara

sapanesh_agnihotri
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sara,

I havent gone throught the complte conversation however did we check the SAP NOTE # 1607059 - Xcelsius .PNG images not transparent.

Thanks,
Sapanesh

former_member184839
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sapanesh,

Nope i haven't gone through that note yet. I tried finding it though, but all am getting is
http://search.sap.com/ui/scn#query=Xcelsius+.PNG+images+not+transparent&startindex=1&filter=scm_a_si...
It'd be helpful if u post the link here.

Regards,
Sara

sapanesh_agnihotri
Contributor
0 Kudos

Symptom

The backgrounds are all black on any embeded .PNG image in Xcelsius

Environment

Xcelsius 2008

Flash Player 10.3

Reproducing the Issue

1. Install Flash player 10.3 
  2. Create Xcelsius Dashboard 
  3. Embed .PNG Image in the dashboard 
  4. Preview Dashboard

Cause 

This is a known issue, a bug, and Adobe is aware of this. This is caued in the new Flash Player 10.3.

http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-6873

Resolution

Since the issue is within Adobe Flash Player, the fix will be provided by Adobe.

Workaround:

• Downgrade Flash Player to version 10.2. 
  • Check off the option, Embed File,  within the Image component properties
former_member184839
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sapanesh,

The same has been stated in a reply by Mr. Andrew Cho. In a reply, before mine.

Regards,

Sara

former_member184839
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I was facing the very same issue. I succeeded in finding a solution to it. This is happening coz of the dimension and pixels of the .png image. I imported the image in the image component, which had the dimensions, 175 x 70, and was of 9.26 kb and the black background was visible. I then changed the dimension of the image to 428 x 140, and 19.2 kb (double the size), and VOILA!! to my surprise IT WORKED !
Don’t forget to “check” the “embed file” and  “Hide SWF Background Color” check boxes in the image component's, general tab.
Try the same, I hope it helps.

Regards,

Sara

0 Kudos

Hello all,

I tried the workarounds as well and they did not work for me. I decided to create an OSS Note to SAP and this was their response.

As a workaround, you can either check off the option, Embedd File,

within the Image component properties or lower your flash player to

10.2. - Does not work as we deploy our Xcelsius Models to the Netweaver Portal.

You can download Flash player 10.2 from the link below: - Not an option as we cannot ask all of our end users who are affected to manually downgrade.

The fix is not by SAP, it's from Adobe, so I am not sure when the fix

will be released.

According to the website, it might be in the next big release.

As for the workaround, Yes, I understand that you might have to ask

your users as well to downgrade to 10.2. But then again, it'll work

till the issue is fixed by Adobe.

Both of their workarounds are not a viable solution for us. It seems we are at the mercy of Adobe until they release a fix.

Edited by: Andrew Cho on Jul 18, 2011 10:15 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

we have clients affected by this problem, and they are unable to use the workarounds suggested so far. Also they issue their models to external customers so it is not a simple matter of rolling back the Flash version for them.

An idea of the time-scale for getting this issue fixed would be very useful.

thanks

Keith

Former Member
0 Kudos

The workaround mentioned here does not work for me. Maybe because the dashboard has a background which is non-white.

Former Member
0 Kudos

For who is trying to convert .png to .swf images the best program is photoshop or fireworks.

Open a .png in photoshop or fireworks and save it to .swf.

Then import it to Xcelsius.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Intersting afternoon: I opened an Illustrator file in Fireworks (CS5). Clicked export (layers to files). Opened a resulting png file, cropped it, and resized. Exported to a .png file. Imported as an image component into Xcelsius. Did Preview and there was no problem with this one!! The export to a .swf looked o.k., too. Had a transparent background on the image as usual. Not sure why this was different than the problem I saw in this post. Since I upgraded to Flash 10 could there be a problem with "older" .png files?? I tried a few older models which contained images. One had white cutout areas. Think it's the same problem.

However, my original Xcelsius model still displays the black rectanges seemingly behind the image.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

The dev team have reproduced the issue.

We don't have a fix as yet so for now you will have to try using one of these workarounds till we can identify whether this is something we can fix in Xclesius or if it is purely a Flash Player issue.

Regards

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you. I worked with new images yesterday and the problem occurred again...

Not sure what was different then as opposed to my previous post..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Matt,

Also.....if you take Xcelsius out of the equation and search on just the issue of transparent images showing with a black or grey background there is quite alot of commentary and some indicate that the issue may invovle Internet Explorer version and ActiveX controls.. Just another path to look at...

Thanks,

Carol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All!

There is also a thread on this issue on the LinkedIn Xcelsius Gurus with some informative information:

If you're a LinkedIn member, check it out:

Xcelsius Gurus:

Thread: What happened to transparency with .PNG images in Xcelsius?

http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&gid=1847619&type=member&item=56086559&qid=f1635951-1502-44bb...

*Bottom line seems to suggest it is an Adobe issue

:*Clifford Alper u2022 This is actually a Flash 10.3 issue and is independent of the browser. The performance depends on the flash version of your browser. The problem is discussed here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/854725?tstart=0

And you can check your version of Flash by steering your browser to this site: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/

Adobe is getting a fair amount of heat from gamers to fix this, so I would expect it to be resolved sooner or later. One option in Xcelsius is to uncheck the "embed" option for the png images an the transparency will work, though the images load more slowly. If you can convert the image to swf format, this will fix it as well.

Response from Adobe:

Adobe reports, "This fix should be in our next major release. Sorry I can't comment on the release schedule." http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-6873.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Converting it to swf seems to lower the quality of my image..If I uncheck emded then how do I add the image..I tried doing that and the image did not show up, it was just a box with a broken image icon?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anyone? I have the image in the same folder as the exported swf file but image is not showing up

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any updates on this / workarounds? I've had to temporarily pull a number of dashboards out of production due to this issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matt,

Is SAP planning to release a hotfix to address this problem anytime soon? Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Last reply from Matt on [22June] was that Xcelsius team had duplicated the problem, but, to date, have not yet heard reply back from the Xcelsius development team on when a permanent fix can be expected...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

Sorry about the slow reply, I was away on vacation...

The Xcelsius dev team have logged a bug with Adobe about this (this does not just affect Xcelsius but Flash in general).

The Xcelsius dev team is also checking to see if we can work around this from our side but a fix has not been identified as yet.

Reagrds

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can take off transparency off from image as a workaround.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Matt,

It's been awhile and wondering if any more news on the black background with transparent png image issue?

Kind Regards,

Carol

Former Member
0 Kudos

To resolve this, you can converse the .png image to a .swf file.

The .swf file don't have this problem, until know.

Rui Pires

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback. Not sure about it being a flash issue. When I export the model to flash, the images appear o.k. with no black box. It's only when I click "preview" that I see the black boxes. Anyone else see this?

Is there an easy way to convert .png to .swf as has been suggested?

I'd prefer not to do that, though....

Thanks, again.

0 Kudos

I agree, I rather not have to change all images from PNG to SWF.

Matt, have you heard any updates from the Xcelsius developers regarding this issue?

Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all:

I can't believe I found this. I am having the same issue this morning. I put together a map of the US with images superimposed on others to simulate rollovers and a clickable map. Worked and looked great, until.....this morning.

Did some tests this morning after seeing this thread. I use .png images with transparent backgrounds. The black boxes are not visible in Xcelsius design mode. When I click "preview", I see them. When I output to a .swf file and view the .swf, the black boxes are NOT there. I see black boxes underneath the images of varying sizes. I am using Xcelsius 2008 (5.3.0.0, bld # 12,3,0,670) and Flash Player 10.

Please keep us posted and thank you.

0 Kudos

Hello,

I am experiencing the samething with my Xcelsius deployed models. It is odd though because I have some users who it is happening to and others who are not. This started occuring just a week ago and I believe it is a adobe flash issue due to the fact when I open up the XLF Xcelsius File the images are perfectly fine but when previewing or exporting to SWF file that is when the mysterious black background occurs on any Images. Hopefully someone can provide information or a OSS Note will have to be created.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I forwarded this onto the Xcelsius development team to have a look at and they will follow up with Adobe if it is a Flash Player related issue.

Regards

Matt

0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

Thank you for forwarding this question, please keep us posted.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Matt...and Andrew may be onto something with the flash version...?

Thanks again for your help.

Carol

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Carol,

You could try other Flash Player versions to see if if that makes a difference, although you would want to be on the latest for critical Adobe Flash Player security fixes.

Regards

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I'm also getting feedback that some people see the images as transparent and others have the black or grey box...but I haven't yet verified that this issue is solely dependent on the Flash version ....I'm thinking it's a combination of things and maybe Shockwave involved with some users ..?

Thanks again for the posts.

Carol