cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No connect thru PC sqlplus after migrating to 11g

0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

This weekend we migrated to Oracle 11.2.0.2 on our AIX server.

Now I cannot log on thru sqlplus on my PC.... I get ORA-01034 and ORA-27101 errors. I get these in sqlplus 11.2.0.1 and Oracle SQL Developer 2.2.1.64. Strange thing is our QAS/DV1 server are on same platform and login is possible to these instances.

I already linked the files in $ORACLE_HOME/oracore/zoneinfo

Appreciate your suggestions, kind rgds.

Claudio

Edited by: Claudio Solares on Jun 15, 2011 8:34 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Now I cannot log on thru sqlplus on my PC.... I get ORA-01034 and ORA-27101 errors. I get these in sqlplus 11.2.0.1 and Oracle SQL Developer 2.2.1.64. Strange thing is our QAS/DV1 server are on same platform and login is possible to these instances.

Since this is not required to work with SAP I suggest you ask that question in an Oracle forum.

Read

Note 581312 - Oracle database: licensing restrictions

<...>

As of point 3, it follows that direct access to the Oracle database is only allowed for tools from the areas of system administration and monitoring. If other software is used, the following actions, among other things, are therefore forbidden at database level:

Creating database users

Creating database segments

Querying/changing/creating data in the database

Using ODBC or other SAP external access methods

<...>

Markus

0 Kudos

I use sqlplus to monitor advanced dba topics, such as latch contention, session holding a particular undo segment, wait events, index usage monitoring, etc.

So sqlplus is a tool many DBA's use, many of us with custom scripts. It allows us to monitor ALL internals of the database and unfortunately the tools SAP provides do not do this.

So no connection means there is a problem with the 11g software so it is perfectly valid to ask this question here, specially if you address the fact that oracle's software for SAP is custom-made.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> So no connection means there is a problem with the 11g software so it is perfectly valid to ask this question here, specially if you address the fact that oracle's software for SAP is custom-made.

To run a SAP system a remote connection from a PC using SQLPlus is not required because you always have the option to run the script locally on the server itself. I don't know any necessary configuration and setup that would require the user to install an Oracle client on the PC and use a local SQLplus. And the Oracle software you get from SAP is binary the same, it is just installed using a response file to have the necessary configuration.

I understand, that it's inconvenient to logon to the server and run the scripts there directly.

I'm not a license expert but I understand it as: "You get the tools to run the SAP system on an Oracle database. Anything that goes beyond that is on your own responsibility. To run a SAP system it's not necessary to have SQLPlus access from a remote machine. You can even run those scripts in DBACOCKPIT/ST05 from the SAP system itself".

Just my EUR 0.02

Markus

0 Kudos

Now I cannot logon to my standby instance from the primary , I get the same two errors. So standby is not getting updated.

A glaring example of how a small problem can mushroom into something really big.

Edited by: Claudio Solares on Jun 22, 2011 5:27 PM

0 Kudos

Got the issue fixed.

The oracle_home in listener.ora was set : ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/PRD/11202 , it should be: ORACLE_HOME=/oracle/PRD/112_64 .

As you know, the unix installer guide tells us to create filesystem /oracle/PRD/11202 and the installer creates a link, 112_64. Since patches are now full installations instead of addons, when I want to upgrade to 11.3.0 I will need to create filesystem /oracle/PRD/11300 , the link 112_64 will get recreated and will now point to this filesystem. One of the shells provided by SAP (dbua.sap.sh) was not working and it modifies the sqlnet files so that created the problem. So should anyone run into this situation just edit the listener.ora file, adjust ORACLE_HOME and reload the listener with lsnrctl reload. No need to stop and start it.

Kind rgds,

Claudio

Edited by: Claudio Solares on Jun 29, 2011 5:05 PM