cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix gray background on images without checking "retain color depth"

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a cover page on my report where the user can insert a logo image. The problem is that if the logo image has a white background it will turn the white background gray. I have figured out how to resolve this by checking "retain original image color depth.u201D The problem with this is that all the images in my report are larger so the report pdf file size goes from 3mb to 30mb. Is there a way to make the logo image appear as normal without having to check the retain color depth? I have tried adjusting the image in photoshop several different ways but havenu2019t figured it out yet.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

See [this|] forum thread.

Ludek

Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/SAPCRNetSup

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the [SAP Idea Place|https://ideas.sap.com/community/products_and_solutions/crystalreports]

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've already read that thread but it is not what I'm asking.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

OK. from the other thread, you're on CR 10.5. As per the other thread, do make sure you are on SP1.

Do you see the issue in the CR designer (in the .NET IDE) as well as runtime?

I think there is a KB on the issue - see if you get anything when you use the search box in the top right corner of this web page.

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm using crystal reports for visual studio 2008. Is there a way to apply the sp1 or update to it? It was included in visual studio and any editing I do is within vs 2008.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

To update CR10.5, just run SP1...(?)

Re.;

any editing I do is within vs 2008

Do you see the issue when you are "editing" the report in the .NET IDE, or when you are running the app and looking at the report in the CR viewer for .NET? What's the export look like? What's a PDF export look like? Web or Win app?

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

The app is for windows and uses c#. Basically there is a picture box and when the user runs the program they can select a logo on their computer to insert on the cover page of the report. So I'm not able to see this in ide. When the program is run and a logo is inserted the background is a light blue/gray color on the print preview and also on the pdf and printed version. Checking "retain original color depth" solves the issue but this isn't an option for me unless I can only apply this setting to one section of the report. When I open the image in photoshop and save it as a jpg with the quality set down to 1 or 2 then it fixes the background color issue except the image quality is greatly reduced.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can I ask, why setting the option isn't an option for the whole report? What is the issue(s) that causes with the rest of teh report?

- Ludek

Former Member
0 Kudos

When the option is unchecked then the finished report size is around 4mb with pictures and text included. If I check "retain color depth" the report size jumps to 30+ mb which is harder to distribute. I have several companies that generate reports with my software and most email systems don't allow a 30mb attachment.

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That is exactly why the option is there. And why it is unchecked. Most people prefer to have smaller report size. The choice is small reports with the option unchecked and the loss of picture quality, or bigger reports with the option checked, retaining the picture quality. THis a by design and is not consiered to be a "bug". If you post the issue into the [idea place|https://ideas.sap.com/community/products_and_solutions/crystalreports] perhaps it will get picked up as an enhancement, but that it the best I can suggest.

- Ludek

Edited by: Ludek Uher on Jun 17, 2011 6:29 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok thanks for the help.

Answers (0)