cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UD codes in SAP Best Practice

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I observed while testing SAP best practice scenarios that some UD codes were defined like YB02-01, YB03-01, YG-01, YG-03 , etc (category '3'). In this I guess that 'Y' or 'Z' means our defined codes and not SAP standard. But I am not understanding about the other characters. Are they followed any naming convension. If yes, what's that?

Please help me.

Bye

UMAPATHI

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

krishnamurty_madduri
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As mentioned by Swarnali, it has no significance. However, as a "Norm" all objects other than Std. SAP ones are named with a prefix "Z" or sometimes "Y".So, it makes a healthy convention. So, the UD codes you mentioned were newly created and are other than the SAP ones that are already there.

Regards,

KrishnaM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I agree with you but there will be some meaning about the other chars (other than 'Y' or 'Z').

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

as stated above it has no relation.

generally u can see codes with created by "SAP" and others crated as per requirement.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The convention you want is entirely up to you and it some what depends on how you use your UD codes and how you set up inspection types.

The YB or whatever you want to use should help you with segragating the UD codes by business or business function. It can depend on how big your company is and how many inspection types you set up and how you want to do statistics.

The YB can represent a set of similar busines units that make the same materials. So you might have something like this:

Plants 1000, 1001, 1002 are a specialty business and make custom products

Plants 2000, 2001, 2003 are a separate business unit and all three plants make bulk products for inventory and they all can make all products..

You set up code groups SB-01, SB-03, SB-04 for UD codes for ispection origins 1, 3 and 4. (SB = Speciality business)

You set up code groups BU-01, BU-03, BU-04 for UD codes for inspection origins 1, 3 and 4. (BU - Bulk business)

You create inspectiotn types 01SB, 01BU, 03SB, 03BU, 04SB, 04BU.

You create selected sets in each SB plant for each inspection type, selected sets SB01, SB03, SB04 in plants 1000, 1001, 1002. Each selected set can use different codes and is customized for each plant. You assign the selected set name in the inspection type config for the SB inspection types. For the SB inspection types in config you also click on "selected set in own plant". In this way, each SB plant can have their own UD codes to serve the types of products they make. The UD stats are done on a plant by plant business.

You then create one selected set for each BU inspection type in only plant 2000. You assign the selected set name in the inspection type config for the BU inspection types. For the BU inspection types in config you also click OFF the "selected set in own plant". All three bulk plants will now use the same selected set, (the only one that exists in plant 2000), for the BU inspection types.

All three bulk plants can now be evaluated in a similar manner since they all share the same process and use the same UD codes. This allows managers to see what plants can be most efficient with certain materials. Meanwhile the speciialty plants coexist in the same SAP system but each SB plant has their own UD codes to match their particular type of business.

While this is probably way more than you wanted to know, the design of your system can be assisted by having a general naming convention for your UD codes, code groups and selected sets.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Its nothing important. You can assign whatever nomenclature you want for codes and code groups.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I agree with you but there will be some meaning about the other chars (other than 'Y' or 'Z').

Thanks!