cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compression for tables and indexes

Former Member
0 Kudos

With version 9.7 its possible to compress both data and indexes.We´ll like to do this during an OTM via db6conv where the normal table compression was also possible in former versions.

Now the quesition is, are the indexes also im compression mode if we activate this for the table or should we use both commands

db2 "alter table compress yes"

before starting OTM?

Is there any command to compress all indexes for one table in one command. Can I use any automtic function to compress the most indexes?

Regards

Olaf

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Olaf,

By default, new indexes that were created on row-based compressed tables are compressed. If a table is created or altered with the COMPRESS attribute set to u2018Yu2019, both data and indexes on that table are set for compression and any new indexes created on that table are compressed by default. At that point, it is not required to explicitly compress the indexes upon creation.

Best regards,

Joachim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Joachim,

one short question. After this table and index are total compressed after using OTM?

Regards

Olaf

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Olaf,

short answer. Yes...

Here are some links for compression with OTM:

https://websmp230.sap-ag.de/sap%28bD1kZSZjPTAwMQ==%29/bc/bsp/spn/sapnotes/index2.htm?numm=1513862

Attached there you will find a PDF document.

[original link is broken]

Here you will find a document, "Enabling DB2 LUW Version 9.7u2019s Index Compression in an SAP environment"

Best regards,

Joachim

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have a look at this SAP note - https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/980067

Contains transports and instructions to install and use the '/ISIS/ZCOMP' compression 'toolkit', should help cover off your questions.

Regards

Daniel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Daniel,

thanks for the information but the note is only for table compression my questions is mainly for index compression which is provided with database 9.7.

My main question is, are the indexes also compressed with an automatism after compressing the table during reorg table with OTM?

Regards

Olaf