cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with training

Former Member
0 Kudos

I work for a company that uses .NET for everything. We currently employ some ABAP consultants for our newly implemented SAP needs and I want to be able to take their place without having to learn ABAP.

What I need help with though is convincing my bosses to let me use Java instead of .NET. I was hoping that someone might be able to give me information or point me to an article that will show how much better it is to know/use Java (in relation to SAP) and why. I really appreciate any and all help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/developerareas/java - this link provides you what you can do with java and SAP. You can apply these technoloiges to your current Infrastructure.

regards,

Kiran

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the help Kiran. However, I should have worded my original question more like, "what can one do in SAP with Java that one can't do with .NET?"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi James,

First thing, without any ABAP knowledge you will struggle to get very far with a lot of SAP stuff - even the majority of the new technologies based on Java have some dependancy on ABAP at some point. It's all very well being able to write Java portal apps or standalone stuff in Java but if it has to interface to an SAP system, quite often ABAP knowledge would be invaluable. As it sounds like your company has no ABAP resource you would be stuck.

In answer to your specific question, the fact that most of the development forums on here deal mainly in Java and not .Net is a clear indication to a developer that Java is the answer for SAP. But of course I guess you are trying to convince management/bean-counter types?!

I'm not sure what to recommend... I've not seen any direct comparison documents between Java & .Net for SAP.

Do you already know Java or do you see this as a good opportunity to cross train? I'd be inclined to think about moving towards ABAP first to gain an understanding of SAP as a system - it sounds like you would be more of an asset to your company that way! - then move into the Java area afterwards.

Good luck!

Gareth.