cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup from Quality - restore as new in Development (bpv 7.5nw)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we are currently in a situation, where we have developed a prototype in a Q (quality) envoirnment. This has been a standalone system sofar.

Now we have a Development->Quality->Production envoirnment - and I want to move my prototype from the Quality system to my Development system.

My question is now. Is it possible to backup my Appset prototype in Quality and restore it under a new Appset Name in development, and then put in it a transport request ?

Or would I have problems with technical names for cubes and dimensions ?

What is the best approach ?

Thank you,

Joergen

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joergen,

You can take back-up of the application sets in BI using the t-code: UJBR. This will allow you to take back-ups in your designated area and also to restore the application sets.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,

Poonam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Poonam Shukla,

and afterwards I can place my "new" imported Appset in the development system in a transport request ?

thank you,

Joergen

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Yes, you can restore the appset with a new name in the development system using the transaction UJBR. THen you can of coursse use UJBPCTR to create a transport request for this new appset.

Regards,

RIch Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Creating the transport request using UJBPCTR may not work in your case as you cannot easily move a transport from Q to D. The usual path for transports is D to Q. So you may use UJBR option to back up and restore it.

While backing up, you may choose not to select the transaction data and master data as an option.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't know if people have this issue or not, my previous experience is:

The UJBR would restore the dimensions with new Technical Name and this will violate the BPC transport rules.

Modification to UJBR program is required to prevent the program from creating a new technical name.

Pls let me know.

Thanks

Halomoan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

perhaps I was not 100% clear.

We originally went for a solution, where we develop in the Quality system and transport to the Production system. No transport has been made to Production yet.

Now we decided to go from a Q->P to a D->Q->P setup. So I need to move my appset from Q to D. I can not do a transport.

So sofar what I gathered is :

1) Make a backup of the appset in quality (Q) using ujbr

2) Import the backup into development (D) and rename the APPSET on the way in - if this is possible. Otherwise import under the original APPSET name and make a copy in D. The renamed or copied appset will by my new working appset, and the old in Q will just stay there.

3) In Development. Put the new renamed/copied appset into a transport request, and then transport it D->Q->P

Regards;

Joergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

You're correct.

As long you're not trying to connect the restored APPSET via the UJBR program in D to the original APPSET in Q server, then it would be fine.

Halomoan

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

@Halomoan Zhou

THe backup/restore tool does support restoring without generating new technical names. In the restore operation, there is a checkbox on the selection screen called "Use Technical Names" which when checked, will force the restore to use the technical names stored in the backup file instead of generating new ones. So it is possible for you to backup the appset from QA and restore the appset in DEV with the same appset name and technial names, and you can even then transport the appset from DEV to QA with no problems.

Cheers,

Rich Heilman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, it is there, but in a hidden area of the screen.

I don't know if this is only on my BPC UI or others also can't see it. And this is what i mean with the (small) modification required to the code.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Halomoan

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

The checkbox is only visible when you select "Restore" radiobutton. It does not make sense to have it visible when doing a "Backup". Again, its visibility is dependent on the operation being performed.

Rich

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think we were on difference thinking on how the program should manage the Technical Name, during the backup or restore. It is fine.

Thanks

Halomoan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member190501
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

check with your basis team, client copy will work in your scenario.

hope it helps..

regards,

Raju