Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error message: Package contains invalid characters installing patchlevel 6

former_member480566
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Dear experts:

I have successfullly installed SAP GUI 7.20 compilation 2, using SAP installation server (40 machines, Windows XP sp3 32 bits, latest updates).

I have successfully installed patchlevel 6 in the SAP installation server. (gui720_6-10007878.exe, downloaded from SAP Portal)

SAP GUI is configured to search for updates after 5 double-clicks on desktop icon. I forced the 5 double-clicks on a test machine and the patch begins to install; then informs me that there is a pending reboot.

When I reboot the machine a SAP Netweaver Front-end installer window appears with the error: "/Package contains invalid characters like /*?"<>\" - "Your system has a pending reboot". If I reboot again the message is displayed again.

If I click on the "Cancel" button of this window, Windows XP continues booting and SAP GUI works fine.

Two questions:

• How can I avoid the installation of this patch on all the machines?

• What can be wrong?

Thank you very much.

Mr.Clinker

Uruguay - South America.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

1.) To avoid the installation on all clients simply go to "Services -> Configure Automatic Workstation Update Service" in the SAP Installation Server Administration Tool and disbale the service. If this doesnt work you can delete the package on the installation server an create a new one with the same name. You can than patch the package to the patchlevel you want.

2.) Try to apply patch 6 Hotfix 2 and see if the problem remains.