cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find out the database size of a portal?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all!

How can I determine the size of the database of one portal?

Thanks for your help!

PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you need to use tool relevant to specific database type. Also, you need to know database name.

For exapmle, if portal uses MS SQL, run MS SQL Server Management Studio and check the properties of portal database.

Regards, Mikhail.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mighail!

We are using Oracle...

No chance to see it somewhere inside the portal?

PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm afraid the only information is available at link http://<server>:<port>/monitoring/SystemInfo

The name of DB, the server name and type.

The portal has no tools to manage DBs on the system level.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mighail!

Thanks again for your answer...

Any way to write a program to get the info?

CU

PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you have an ABAP stack system, it is possible to create a connection to the portal database and to use transaction DBACOCKPIT.

As the UME database of my SAP portal is an ECC6 system, I use DBACOCKPIT from ECC6 to monitor the Portal database.

PS : One other exemple where the Abap stack is so more better then the Java stack...

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Oliver!

I have a lot of ABAP systems around so no problem with this... ))

1.) But I need more than just a RFC-destination? I need a db-connection, right?

2.) For a db-connection I need a db user and passwort?

Thanks for your help!

PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Although this may not be a good answer, you can also create Web Dypro progarm to:

- Connect the backend DB with JDBC

- execute stored procedure (or db command maybe?) to get the size

- display the size information via the Web Dypro iView.

Wish it help

Regards

Bill

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Of course, you need to create a db connection which needs a db user and password.

Of course also, it is much easier if the database software is the same for the portal and the abap system.

If they are different (exemple : Oracle for abap and SQL server for portal), you need to install the portal database libraries on the abap system.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Peter,

Olivier's idea is a good one... give DBA Cockpit a good look. Try this for starters:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/f0e1921b-32e2-2910-d38a-bce867339dc9

Click the button to view the presentation. It's all good info but I think you'll be most interested in pages 25, 26, and 28.

Enjoy!

-Kevin

achmad_dimyati5
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

The easiest way is just calculate your sapdata<x> size. It's your database Java size.

If you decide to use dbacockpit, the configuration is depend on your database and OS type.

In dbacockpit you make connection from ABAP to Java of Portal. In Oracle you must register the tnsnames entry of Java database into ABAP tnsnames.ora

If you are using UNIX, there are two ways to give access for dbacockpit from ABAP system to manage Java database (such as schedule db13, see backup log). You use rhost or ssh.

You still need to have user's ID similar to <sid>adm of ABAP and adjust the Oracle directory permission to allow access from <sid>adm of ABAP system.

If you want to see content of Java database directly, for Oracle you can use SQLDeveloper.

Best Regards,

Achmad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin!

Thanks for the link to the file. Very useful information...

I am still struggeling with the db connection. I got an error

"Datenbankverbindung MPX_ORACLE: SQL-Fehler 12154 ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identfier specified".

And our system provider doesn´t not know what to put in the field "TNS-Name".

CU

PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Achmad!

Thanks for your information...

> In Oracle you must register the tnsnames entry of Java database into ABAP tnsnames.ora

Please can you specify that?

I am still getting a TNS-error (see mail above)

CU

PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Peter,

Just making sure off the top... you're using the same version of Oracle on both the source ABAP system with DBA Cockpit and the target Portal, correct?

Assuming you answered that in the affirmative, did you make an additional entry in the tnsnames.ora file on the ABAP system? This entry should reflect the target Portal database system to which your connecting. Make your change to the /oracle/<SID>/<DB_Ver>/network/admin/tnsnames.ora file. Once this is complete, copy that file to /sapmnt/<SID>/profile/oracle/tnsnames.ora.

Test your connection again after this.

Here's an excerpt from SAP Note 1261329:

-

Set up the database connection.

In the file tnsnames.ora that is in the directory (on the application server) to which the environment variable TNS_ADMIN refers, you must add the following entry for each Oracle remote database:

<SID> =

(DESCRIPTION =

(SDU = 32768)

(ADDRESS_LIST =

(ADDRESS =

(COMMUNITY = TCP)

(PROTOCOL = TCP)

(HOST = <database_host>)

(PORT = <port>)

)

)

(CONNECT_DATA =

(SID = <DB_ID>)

)

)

This means that

<SID> = the ID that you want to use to access this database ("TNS Name")

<database_host> = host name of the database server

<port> = TCP port of the database listener

<DB_ID> = database ID of the database that is to be connected

Usually, you can copy the entry in the file tnsnames.ora from the relevant file of the remote system. To obtain the contents of tnsnames.ora in the remote system, log on to the remote system as the database user ora<sid> (UNIX or Linux) or as the database user <sid>adm (Windows) on operating system level. There, you call the following command from the command line.

tnsping <SID>

The output specifies the connection parameters and the path to the file sqlnet.ora. The directory in which this file is stored, also includes the file tnsnames.ora.

-

If you haven't seen them before, check out that note (1261329, 1028624, and 1256322). If you've still got questions, let me know.

-Kevin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin!

>Just making sure off the top... you're using the same version of Oracle on both the source ABAP system with DBA Cockpit >and the target Portal, correct?

Yes...

I have just found "SAP Note 1256322 - Establishing a remote database connection in DBACOCKPIT.pdf" and I have sent it to our provider, I can´t do changes on the db itselve...

I will send the except from 1261329 too.

Hopefully they manage it finally.

Thank you for all your infos and efforts!!!

PM

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

There is two ways to check or to know the database size.

1. Check Database size by login into database

2. Check Database size from OS Level.

If you want to know the more details steps you check the below thread:

3 easy steps to check Oracle Database size ? |

I hope this will solve your problem, if you still need more help then please post here. It would be glad to assist you more on this.

former_member194211
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

I think on Portal you will not be able to see the DB size. You need to go to server level and check the DB size. For Oracle DB please use below link to find the DB size.

http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Oracle_database_FAQ#How_do_I_find_the_overall_database_size.3F

Thanks.

Sushil