cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot start AS Java

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to upgrade my SAP NetWeaver CE 7.1 EHP1 (32b) to SP05.

Unfortunately, during deplyment, just after the one of JVM components (from 5.01.24.0 to 5.01.53.0), the procedure is trying to restart AS Java unsuccessfully. Result is that the deployment cannot proceed properly.

I tried to restart AS java by myself, but from log (down here) it seems the start of java.exe is exceeding the whatchdog timeout, then it is skipped:

***************************************************************************************************************

[Jun 13, 2011 10:36:35 PM] * Synchronizing native files...

[Jun 13, 2011 10:37:19 PM] Synchronizing file [D:\usr\sap\CE1\J00\j2ee\os_libs\PDFManipulation_native.zip] ... done. Size: 23 MiB / 24120426 bytes

[Jun 13, 2011 10:37:24 PM] Synchronizing file [D:\usr\sap\CE1\J00\j2ee\os_libs\jmon.dll] ... done. Size: 1672 KiB / 1712128 bytes

[Jun 13, 2011 10:37:25 PM] Synchronizing file [D:\usr\sap\CE1\J00\j2ee\os_libs\sapbiado.dll] ... done. Size: 100 KiB / 102400 bytes

[Jun 13, 2011 10:38:56 PM] Mon Jun 13 22:38:56 CEST 2011 Thread [Watchdog for main] initiated a full thread dump due to: Watchdog timeout

[Jun 13, 2011 10:38:57 PM] Component: [internal/unkown] of type [unkown]

com.sap.engine.bootstrap.SynchronizationException: No progress was recorded since [ Mon Jun 13 22:51:33 CEST 2011]. Check the DB and FS state. In case you are using MAXDB ensure that the log/data volumes are not full.

at com.sap.engine.bootstrap.Bootstrap.timeout(Bootstrap.java:299)

at com.sap.engine.lib.time.Watchdog.onTimeout(Watchdog.java:143)

at com.sap.engine.lib.time.Watchdog.run(Watchdog.java:101)

[Jun 13, 2011 10:38:57 PM] [Bootstrap]> Watchdog timeout

Maybe, my server is very slow, where I can configure Watchdog timeout? (it's not depending from the timelimit prompted after pressing start option).

What can be other reasons to my issue?

tnx

best regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1249469

To solve the problem, insert the property watchdog.timeout in cluster/bootstrap/bootstrap.properties (if not available), and increase its value from the default value 90000 (1.5 minutes) to 300000:

watchdog.timeout=300000

Also possible solution is updating your kernel up to the latest level.

Best Regards,

Aleh

Former Member
0 Kudos

tnx, I'm trying with the property...

not sure about the second solution you proposed...

the syntom started just after the deployment of new version of "something" from 5.01.24.0 to 5.01.53.0,

but also "something else" from 7.11.20.0 to 7.11.82.0. If I well remeber they were SAP JVM and SAP J2EE KERNEL.

What is last version you mentioned? After this upgrade to SP05 I will upgrade MII too (that's the aim of my NW upgrade).

Not sure if last KERNEL version will be ok with MII 12.1.8.

Anyway I'll let you know if I solved with your first solution.

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

ciao,

your first solution it was ok.

My Java AS started properly, but it took about 10 hours.

Looking at the MMC I saw during the startup of java.EXE

"Starting the processes [SAFE MODE]".

Could it be the reason of a so slow startup? (I'm thinking to something like window safe mode) As I said before, my problem started during deployment of NetWeaver CE just after deployment of SAP JVM and SAP J2EE KERNEL and before deplyment of all other elements.

best regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Possible reason: https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1537078

-

< I031257 NOV/19/08 >----

Phase DEPLOY_ONLINE_DEPL: Timeout During AS Java Restart

On slow/loaded systems, the DEPLOY_ONLINE_DEPL phase might fail due to a timeout during AS Java restart. This restart can take several hours as during this time portal applications are updated. If this restart takes longer than expected (3h), the Software Update Manager stops with an error.

To complete the update process, wait for the AS Java restart in SAFE mode to finish and then resume SUM. If the system is still in SAFE mode after the update process completes, apply SAP Note 1267123.

Also I recommend you to check free space in database.

Best Regards,

Aleh

Former Member
0 Kudos

tnx for info!

Another question about Java AS...

From time to time I noticed during deployment of some component a crash of my P4Connection.

Jun 16, 2011 3:42:44 PM [Error ]:Exception occurred during deployment phase - P4ConnectionException,

cause: Error. Check your available working servers. Error message: server crashed while processing the request

Jun 16, 2011 3:42:44 PM [Info ]:+++++ End D E P L O Y action +++++[ deployerId=2 ]. Total time:[#10: 914.687 sec]

I think it could be related to AS crash.

Then, If I wait the Java AS come up again and I resume the deployment, it happens it goes ahead.

Maybe this is due to poor configuration of my server...

Is there any way to have it (Java AS or whatelse) more stable somehow on slow/poor machines?

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Try to use following info: http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/JSTSG/(JSTSG)(Deploy)Problems-P49

Best Regards,

Aleh

Former Member
0 Kudos

tnx,

I think I'll evaluate those solutions to improve performances

my best regards

Answers (0)