cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build up complex network? - challenging!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all

We've to implement a SAP System in a plant engineering company. They are used to track all submission dates for the construction drawings (up to 100 drawings) for a very complex plant. They are using MS Excel for this tracking.

So, if we want to use network activities for this issue, we get a huge network, which I think it's not possible to handle. This structure, too, is very projects specific, so we would have to do a very huge amount of work for every single project (they build up to 100 plants a year). There is also a big intercompany process behind.

So, I ask the forum if somebody of you has got an experience of this kind or has an idea how to build up these details.

many thanks

jim

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member230675
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

for a similar scenario (it was construction) we have used sap ps network only to capture the master schedule, the micro level scheduling done in primavera. In your case I think it is better to use network for master schedule and micro level details you could track it in ms project. you can also link sap with ms project. may be you could transfer master schedule to ms project and do the micro level planning there.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply

I've already thought about such an integration. But first I want to try to integrate the whole processes in SAP. If I fail there we could think to maintain the detailed project planning in an external software. But in such an scenario, where do I plan the resources, where do I make the project controlling and so on? Is this a huge effort? As already described above, we have here a huge intercompany integration, and if we are going to plan the detailed level in an external software, how do we integrate this on an intercompany level?

best regards

Jim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply

I've already thought about such an integration. But first I want to try to integrate the whole processes in SAP. If I fail there we could think to maintain the detailed project planning in an external software. But in such an scenario, where do I plan the resources, where do I make the project controlling and so on? Is this a huge effort? As already described above, we have here a huge intercompany integration, and if we are going to plan the detailed level in an external software, how do we integrate this on an intercompany level?

best regards

Jim

former_member230675
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

in any project management there will be two level requirements. first level for higher management and accounting and second level for the project execution. first level requirement you have to map in sap. second level is ok to keep out side.

first you decide what are the things which falls under first level and map them in sap.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Abdul

what was the hugest network you ever create? Or lets say... What was the largest amount of activities you ever used in a Project? And in reference, how many man-hours were necessary to maintain this structure?

Best regards

Jim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As I understood your scenario, you need to track document submission dates for a particular project.

For this purpose you can use Document Management System(DMS) where you can attached several documents for given activity or WBS. on this system you might be able to track document attached dates & document updated(versions).

Hope this would help you.

Regards,

SL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

thank you for your reply.

We not only have to track them, but we have to plan them too. I try to make a quick example.

the production wants to make a preassembling in week 37. For this preassembling they need 3 major parts with 3 different lead times. The leadtime is 5, 10 and 15 weeks. So they want to give this information to the construction, when they have to deliver the drawings. Part 1: week 32, part two in week 27 and for part three in week 22. But this structure is so project specific and so complex, that build up every single component / group as a activity would enlarge the structure extremely. So, maybe somebody of you has an idea how this could be handled.

Best regards

Jim