cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Idoc and DME difference

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Please explain me the difference between idoc and the method of sending file to bank using dme engine.

I tried reading the notes in sap library. But I am confused.

1) When do you use idoc . In what scenarios

2) When do you use the PMW, where you create formats using DME engine.

Thanks

kamala

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

First of all please note that there are many ways of communicating with banks. You can send the payment file through various means - DME, IDOC, using PI etc.

IDOC means an Intermediate document for transferring data of a business. It means that you will configure the way the file should look in an IDOC and send the file to bank. However, for every file, it creates a new IDOC. Moreover, the banks must be able to support IDOC.

DME is Data Medium Exchange, just another method of communication. However, it is the most frequently accepted technique. PMW (Payment Medium Workbench) is a technique, for maintaining the formats and variants pertaining to DME. DME is more of a flat file which downloads to a specified location. There are few standard DME's available, or if you need some customization, you can create your own fie using DMEE. You can access more about DME and PMW using the following T Codes - OBPM1, OBPM2, OBPM3, OBPM4 & DMEE.

To sum up, it all boils down to the client businness requirements and the various facilities banks offer to receive files.

Thanks and Regards

Srini

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

IDOCs are more standardised and used globally for various internationally acceptedd formats.

While DME files are more specific to any particular bank or country. You can define the struture of the DME file in customization and can ealisy modify it without much ABAP knowldge.

Regards,

Gaurav