cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lock the ABAP Workbench in EHP installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm installing the EHP5 for ERP, and in pre-processing phase witn EHPI installer, therefore i lock the ABAP workbench

The installation guide say this:

The installation program asks you in this phase to confirm the lock of the ABAP Workbench on all SAP instances. This lock is needed to prevent development objects (for example, ABAP reports, table definitions, and so on) from being changed during the installation process, since these modifications would be lost.

You can continue to use your SAP system in production operation, even if you confirm that the ABAP Workbench can be locked. However, after you have confirmed the ABAP Workbench lock, no more transports can be made into or out of the SAP system.

The installation program waits until the time you entered as the maximum synchronization time for all the instances has expired.

I have some questions about that.

1. I know that I can´t do transport from development system. But can I open the client and do manual modifications?(Urg3nt corrections). WilI I lost these modifications after downtime?

2. After finish the pre-processing phase, the installation ask for a full backup, but also give an option:

Go productive Again

What's the meaning of this option??? If I select Go productive Again, can I do transports again?

If yes, I lost the installation process? and Must I restart the installation from beggining or the installation can be resumed re-starting the ehpi installer.

I don't have very clear f I select Go productive Again what really happen and how to do urg3nt changes while the installation is running.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member198270
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Manfred, Please find the reply to your queries

1. I know that I can´t do transport from development system. But can I open the client and do manual modifications?(Urg3nt corrections). WilI I lost these modifications after downtime?

Answer : You will loose modifications if you perform manual modifications after locking and the changes wont be available after downtime phase.

2. After finish the pre-processing phase, the installation ask for a full backup, but also give an option:

Go productive Again -

Answer : This option is provided as a backout solution - this means this is the last stage/screen from where you can return to your current system(system before upgrade) - After passing this stage/screen system can be reverted back to previous stage from SAP level.

What's the meaning of this option??? If I select Go productive Again, can I do transports again? -

Answer : If you select go productiive again you system will be back to normal state as you started before EHPi.

If yes, I lost the installation process? - Installation process as in you would need to build the shadow instance again with the pramaters provided.

and Must I restart the installation from beggining or the installation can be resumed re-starting the ehpi installer. - Answer : I would suggest re-set the installation process and remove EHPi instalaltion directories before starting the instalaltion again.

Hope it helps.

Regards, Amber S | AO

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi thanks a lot for your answers,

to summarize, if i need do some modifications reallly really urg3nt, I can do it.But after downtime I will need do it again the modifications because these are lost in this phase. Is this statement correct?

And other question just to confirm, if after 3 days of finished the pre-processing phase i run the downtime phase. I don't lost any change in data(FI DATA, CO Data, etc). RIght?

Best Regards

Manfred

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> And other question just to confirm, if after 3 days of finished the pre-processing phase i run the downtime phase. I don't lost any change in data(FI DATA, CO Data, etc). RIght?

yes, right.

All upgrade work is done in the shadow instance during those three days. SAPehpi makes a copy of the current system without your application data and works on that, the upgrade is so basically done in the shadow instance alltogether.

During downtime, the changes are "merged back" into the original instance and upgrade programs (XPRAs) are ran to finish the upgrade.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks to all.

About this sentence:

to summarize, if i need do some modifications reallly really urg3nt, I can do it.But after downtime I will need do it again the modifications because these are lost in this phase. Is this statement correct?

Best regards