SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Role of rate type in billing ...

former_member358460
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello,

Can you tell me what is the use of rate type in the rate determination?

What essential information it basically carries?

I know rate type and rate category jointly are responsible for rate determination.

Is it that rate type only tells us that the what kind of register this meter has?

Please explain in details , if possible with example.

In my company actually all the rate type is nothing but just the name of the tariff (product).

Regards

Deepak

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Rate type is maintained at register level, which classifies register for billing. Typical examples in electricity industry are:

- On peak rate

- Off peak rate

Now, lets say, we have two types of customer - Residential and Commercial. We have different rates during on-peak and off-peak.

Type of customer will be identified by Rate Category and on-peak/off-peak by rate type at register level. This is called rate determination where rate category and rate type plays a important role.

Based on your business needs, you need to identify rate types (which is usually a one time activity).

Regards,

Avinash

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Rate type is maintained at register level, which classifies register for billing. Typical examples in electricity industry are:

- On peak rate

- Off peak rate

Now, lets say, we have two types of customer - Residential and Commercial. We have different rates during on-peak and off-peak.

Type of customer will be identified by Rate Category and on-peak/off-peak by rate type at register level. This is called rate determination where rate category and rate type plays a important role.

Based on your business needs, you need to identify rate types (which is usually a one time activity).

Regards,

Avinash

0 Kudos

Hi Avinash,

Thanks for this.

Can you also tell me if I want to see the registers where the rate types are assigned, where to look for?( How can I see the registers defined in ISU?)

On peak and off peak does make sense but in my company rate types have got the name of the tariffs as well. like

Rate Type

Online saver

Web saver

Price promise 2009

Etc.

So with your answer shall I conclude that Rate types only tells us what kind of register particuler device has which we are going to bill???

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Deepak

0 Kudos

Hi,

Rate types are assigned to register during billing related installation for a given device. You can view rate data using transaction EG71. (Alternatively, you can view same information from ES32 (Display Installation) by clicking Devices button.

As explained earlier, rate type & rate category will determine the rate. So, design them according which suits your current business & future business needs.

Regards,

Avinash

0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Rate type can also be assigned at device, facts etc level. Rate type is another attribute for identification of Rate apart from rate category. A simple case is to determine rates using rate type assigned at register level.

other cases can be - device rate type for device rental rate determination- Rate category Fact rate type to calculate some charges for all the customers belonging to a particular rate category having that rate type - Rate type can also be maintained at installation fact.

Hope this helps.