Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitor the background jobs based on priority in RZ20

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I want to monitor the background jobs based on priority in RZ20,

I defined Medium and High priority Jobs.For medium priority jobs i need to send alert to only email and for high priority jobs i need to send the alerts to both pager and email.

How can i distinguish the jobs based on high and medium?should I change the data collection method or auto reaction method to acheive this functionality?

Thanks

Srinivas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jon_friesen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

Neither the AbortedJobs note (MTE class R3BPServerSpecAbortedJobs) nor the job-specific monitor has a way to choose a different autoreaction method based on job class. If I were you I would set up job-specific monitoring (http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/helpdata/en/5b/f1bd915598cb4c8dc03d266ab56c56/frameset.htm) and define the class A jobs with one MTE class (say, JOB_CLASS_A) and class B jobs with another MTE class (say, JOB_CLASS_B). Then assign your autoreaction methods appropiately at the MTE class level so that Z_JOB_FAIL_CLASS_A is assigned to MTE class JOB_CLASS_A_History, etc.

By the way, you should definitely resist the temptation to assign your autoreaction methods at the MTE level even though it might seem like a simpler choice. Assignment of ARMs to MTEs, especially for job scheduling, is very unstable and even SAP will admit that it is not reliable. Always assign your ARMs at the MTE class level, which is why in your case it makes sense to define the job monitors with two (or more) different MTE classes.

Good luck,

Jon

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jon for the update,

We have a central monitoring system(Solution Manager) to which all the systems are connected.

Please let me know wheather i should maintain the table ALBTCMON and custom MTE Classes at the central system level or at stalleite system level.

Thanks

Srinivas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

Please check the statement here

Monitoring jobs with the monitoring architecture is always system-local. 
If you have a central monitoring system, you must nevertheless always 
make the selection of the jobs to be monitored in the local system.

under this [http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/1c/48803d48de0610e10000000a114084/content.htm|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/1c/48803d48de0610e10000000a114084/content.htm]

And please go through this best pracctise guide before you move on class job monitoring [Batch Job Monitoring Best Practise|https://websmp201.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700001194752006E]

Thanks,

Jansi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per my understanding, while maintaining the table ALBTCMON, for high priority jobs i should define one MTE class and for low priority jobs i should define another MTE class?

I have one more question, is it required to create 2 monitor sets in RZ20( one for high priority and one low priority jobs)?

Thanks

Srinivas

jon_friesen2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Srini,

You do not need to create separate monitors or monitor sets, if you just want to send email alerts for your job monitors. I'll give a longer answer but first a couple basic concepts:

1. The satellite system maintains a tree of monitor tree entities ("MTEs"); you can see the whole tree in RZ20 --> SAP CCMS Technical Expert Monitors --> All Monitoring Contents (background job monitors will appear in this tree under the Background branch

2. What SAP calls a "monitor" is just a view of a subset of the entire tree. RZ20 has many predefined monitors which show various subsets of the tree, to focus on database MTEs, performance MTEs etc

3. A "monitor set" is like a folder of monitors. It is convenient to group monitors in monitor sets and SAP provides monitor sets for ERP-specific monitors, J2EE-specific monitors etc

So to answer your question, when you define your background job monitors they will appear in the tree of MTEs but you do not need to create a monitor (remember this is just a view of a subset of the tree). However you may find it convenient to create a monitor called "Customer-specific job monitoring" which would show just the job monitoring nodes, to make it easier for a batch administrator (for example) to find them.

And you do not need to create a special monitor set to put your monitor in. However it can be convenient to do so because the monitor set can have permissions defining who is allowed to modify the set and who can view it.

Finally, everything I've said so far pertains to defining a monitor or monitor set on the satellite system. In the CEN system, you will definitely find it useful to define a monitor set called (for example) "Central monitoring" and in it, define a monitor called (for example) "Job monitoring" which shows you the job MTEs from your various satellite systems. This will make it easy for a job administrator to view only the nodes he cares about, and will give you (the CCMS administrator) a convenient place to check the status of your autoreaction methods etc.

Good luck!

Jon

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Jon Friesen,

your suggections worked for me.