Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Columns in BI Services?

david_lai
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has figured out a work around to have a dynamic set of columns working for BI Services

For example I have a cross tab where the columns change depending on what region was selected

Region 1 selected

Office 1 | Office 2

a

Region 2 selected

Office 1 | Office 2 | Office 3

a

Unfortunately in Xcelsius if I try to bind 3 columns, the first selection values will come back all messed up.

I was thinking if there were some way to put buffer columns in the back somehow so that we always retreive a consistent amount of columns?

If anyone can shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've written a short post on how to do this. (I see you've read it already David.)

The BI Service contains values for the number of columns and rows it contains. Using Excel formulas you can re-create a varying column Webi block in the spreadsheet.

http://blog.davidg.com.au/2012/06/bi-services-with-crosstabs-variable.html

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

in xcelsius ->go to data-> connection---->there you could extent the the no of columns manually

david_lai
Participant
0 Kudos

Umm Manual does not equal dynamic..

Former Member
0 Kudos

ya....but you mark manually 500 columns so that it does not going to exit........

-

******************----

As you said no of rows returned may be dynamic in that case 100 % we have to map manually....up to now every one is doing that only........ I dont hope so its not possible what you are expecting

david_lai
Participant
0 Kudos

#1 the question says "Dynamic Columns" not "Dynamic Rows"

Columns goes like this | | | |

Rows goes like this

-

-

-

-

#2 I mentioned on the example if you set a fixed amount of columns on Xcelsius let's say 3 columns. But only 2 columns is returned. Then the output of the set containing 2 columns will be messed up.

Anyhow thanks for trying