Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doubt about assign devices in setup package

Private_Member_201320
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi:

I have created a setup package (without data download, only jre,db,app). I've created in "Software Package Management" menu. There is a tab to assing devices, what is the difference between assing devices or not?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Private_Member_201320
Participant
0 Kudos

Any help?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you create a setup package and dont assign to any devices, then it is good not to create setup package because it is not used anywhere. The idea of setup package is to include all installables like Jre, application and also data and then create device profile. Once that is done, you can also create devices based on Backend data and also assign device profile to devices. By doing this, the moment the actual physical device synchronizes, you get everthing that is in the setup package.

So rolling out devices in the organizations becomes easier. Also you will avoid multiple synchronization cycles from the device.

You can also refer to the documentation : http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/en/48/3faf6dd9e871b9e10000000a421937/content.htm

Best Regards,

Siva.

Private_Member_201320
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Sorry, but I still have some doubts. I have created a setup package, and I have assigned a JRE, SETUP_WIN32, DB2E and app. I also create a device profile with the same components (jre, setup, db2e and app) and assigned to a new device created (in device administration).

I installed the setup package in device, and when I synchronize only install the application.

In the setup package have not assigned devices, but devices assigned to the setup package I see no difference in behavior. And when you create the setup package installable, you can not add more devices, if you have new users, should we create another setup package?

Thanks. Regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You dont need to create new setup package for new users. The same setup package can be assigned to various devices which in turn are used by various users.

There is a difference between assigning setup package to device which is already synchronized and assigning devices to setup package.

In case of assigning devices to setup package, ideally there will be devices(logical devices created) which are created automatically with pre-assigned users based on some Backend logic. So if there is also data associated to these devices based on device criteria like User then the data will also be kept ready. So when a actual pyhsical device synchronizes, it gets application and data during initial sychronization itself.

So in cases where you dont want to create devices before synchronization then you dont have to assign devices to setup packages.

Regards,

Siva.

Private_Member_201320
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

But data from the application is not prepared until it syncs, no? The DMSWCV seems like not operational until sync, right?

Another doubt: the right thing is to have a device profile assigned to the device with JRE, SETUP_WIN32, DB2E and APP although there is not a setup package? Or with only the application is sufficient for the device profile?

For example if you wanted to install a new version of SP (SETUP_WIN32) could be added directly to a device profile or should be exist previosly?

My installations is in LAPTOP, WIN32.

Thanks. Regards.

Private_Member_201320
Participant
0 Kudos

Any help ?

Answers (0)