cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports XI - report.ExportToDisk(Excel, reportName) sluggish C#

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am generating Excel/PDF reports using a report created in Crystal Reports XI.

PDF generation would usually take a few seconds but Excel generation usually takes 50-60 minutes.

Underlying DB is SQL Server 2000 and report has 2 subreports.

Data is retrieved from report itself and credentials are set using TableLogOnInfo. This TableLogOninfo is applied on each table within report.

To generate the report I am using ReportDocument.ExportToDisk(exportFomat, Filename) in C#.

Issue is why is Excel report taking so long to generate while pdf is fairly faster. Is there any optimisation that can be carried out while generating the report, perhaps a different method for Excel rendering?

Are there any known issues while generating Excel report from Crystal Reports?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What is the exact version of CR? CR XI is not enough info.

What version of .NET?

Web \ win app?

How do exports other than PDF and XLS perform?

How is the export performance from teh CR XI designer?

Ludek

Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/SAPCRNetSup

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the [SAP Idea Place|https://ideas.sap.com/community/products_and_solutions/crystalreports]

Former Member
0 Kudos

Version: Business Objects 11.5

.Net - VS 2008

Win service

I only use it for PDF and XLS as only these formats are required.

No or slight improvement in perfomance when using Designer.

Please let me know if more info is required.

Also, is there any way that I can log what ExportToDisk is internally doing to see which step is taking time? Another question would be if there is a possiblity of introducing a timeout when executing this method?

I have reports lined one after other and only single instance of Crystal object available. So if 1 report takes time, it delays all other reports.

Edited by: ash2011 on Jun 10, 2011 7:32 AM

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1) You can get the exact version of CR by going to the Help menu in the CR designer and clicking on "Help About..." (E.g.; even CR 11.5 is not "exact")

2) I understand that you may only want to use PDF and XLS, but testing other export formats may prove to be useful...

3) If the performance is slow in the designer, it for sure will not be any faster at runtime. The place to resolve the performance issue then, is in the CR designer, before moving to and application. SAP Crystal Reports Design forum is here:

Before you post a thread to the CR Design forum, If your version of CR is lower than 11.5.12.1838, you want to update to CR XI R2A. See [this|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/24977] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken]; blog for more info. Test the export in the CR XI R2A designer. If the performance is still slow, do post to the design forum. If the performace is good in the designer, see how the performace is at runtime.

To answer your questions.

...is there any way that I can log what ExportToDisk is internally doing to see which step is taking time?

- No

Another question would be if there is a possiblity of introducing a timeout when executing this method?

- No

- Ludek

Answers (0)