cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change the IP address set for stms during switch of server

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi experts,

If we're going to switch from primary to our standby server incase the primary would have down time, and I have to switch the setting of the STMS ; is it enough that I will change the RFC Address Target host under communication tab to the new IP address of the server? I simply wanted to be able to transport from DEV to QAS to the new PRD(which is the standby server).

I cannot try this now for we have no time to run another full backup just to restore back the standby database. I just need your suggestions on this one.

Thank you in advance!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why not simply configure 2 delivery routes for both PRD and PRD(Standby)?

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Will it work even if the other route is on standby? Does it mean that if PRD(main) is down and PRD(standby) is switched to main, does it mean that it will automatically read PRD(standby) on you suggested setting?

Thank you,

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry, I miss read you thread.... I guess your stand-by server has a different IP but the in case of a fail the host will be the same correct?,

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes, the host will be the same and the IP is different, do I have to change anything on the stms config?

Thank you,

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As long as the config is done using the hostname and not the IP it should be fine.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

When I look at the DEV config in STMS, under the communication tab, the target host is equal to the hostname of the PRD(main). So if i would switch to the standby, will it be automatically set to the hostname of the PRD(standby)?

Thank you for you help,

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Correct me if im wrong... in case of a failure on your PRD box, your PRD standby will kick in... in order to serve its role PRD(standby) should swap to the hostname or your PRD(main) in order to be accessible to users.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes, the standby would kick in incase of failure in the PRD(main). When you say swapping of hostnames, does it simply mean that I have to swap their hostnames on the HOSTS file under C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc? then QAS will automatically read PRD(standby) as its target?

Thank you for your help,

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Basically your standby PRD should kick in if your main PRD is down, the way the swap happens is influenced by many factors I don't know as they are particular to your site. What I'm trying to explain to you is that in the case you ever require that your standby server is used it should be done in a way that its transparent to the backend users. Having said that the most likely case scenario is that your DR PRD standby box wil take the same hostname (which probably already does) as your current main PRD. why?... because otherwise you will have to change a lot of things in order to provide access and a workable system to your backend users.

If this is the case then you should not have an issue with STMS either.

Regards

Juan

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
is it enough that I will change the RFC Address Target host under communication tab to the new IP address of the server?

I dont think that RFC Connection you can edit. You have to reconfigure on Standby Server.

Regards,

Subhash

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi subhash,

Can you suggest me a link or any procedure on how to do that?

Thanks,