cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to partition BSEG table in 46C

Former Member
0 Kudos

The SAP partitioning engine isn't available in 46C but I need to partition my BSEG table (currently 1072GB).

I am looking for the "partitioning key" to use on this table.

Can anybody provide an example of their DDL to give me a starting point.

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Paul,

the SAP partition engine is not only using a column like GJAHR, BKURS or something like that.

The partitioning engine works with the number-range object (NRIV) and divides its partition on this ranges. So this is pretty hard to implement. Unfortunately you can't even use the "Intervall Partitioning" feature of Oracle 11g R2, because of SAP stores its most data not in NUMBER or DATE data types.

For more information check the Oracle Development Update (Page 43):

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/ora?rid=/library/uuid/d053aa41-75b6-2d10-95b5-9a961a5ae750&overridela...

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Stefan,

I need to do some more digging.

Thanks,

Pauk

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

There are three main partitioning methods here; range, list and hash. Oracle support composite partitioning, also. Check the note 722188 - FAQ: Oracle partitioning. I would prefer to use partitioning method on BSEG subset tables BSIS, BSAS, BSID, BSAD, BSIK and BSAK, instead of BSEG itself.

By the way as far as I know that Oracle does not support partitioning of clustered tables or indexes on clustered tables.

One questiion that why don't you archive your FI documents?

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun,

We are looking at (testing) archiving FI_DOCUMNT and it's poor performance which is why I am looking at partitioning specific tables (with BSEG being our largest table). We have multiple years worth of data to archive. I have read the note that you have referenced and all SAP notes that I could find about partitioning and was hoping to find the sql used in the "SAP Partitioning Engine" so I could apply/execute it manually in my environment or the actual DDL generated by SAP. The underlying tables BSIS, BSET, BSAK, BSAS, and BSAD are also on my list too. My Management is looking for recommendations or best practices from SAP (I also have a support message open with them) before I can move forward.

Thanks,

Paul.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun,

>

> We are looking at (testing) archiving FI_DOCUMNT and it's poor performance which is why I am looking at partitioning specific tables (with BSEG being our largest table). We have multiple years worth of data to archive. I have read the note that you have referenced and all SAP notes that I could find about partitioning and was hoping to find the sql used in the "SAP Partitioning Engine" so I could apply/execute it manually in my environment or the actual DDL generated by SAP. The underlying tables BSIS, BSET, BSAK, BSAS, and BSAD are also on my list too. My Management is looking for recommendations or best practices from SAP (I also have a support message open with them) before I can move forward.

>

> Thanks,

> Paul.

Hi Paul,

By the way as far as I know that Oracle does not support
partitioning of clustered tables or indexes on clustered tables.

Did you checked my statement? RFBLG is a cluster table.

When you try to create a partition on this table you will face with "ORA-14085: partitioned table cannot have column with LONG datatype" error. It has a LONG RAW field.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun,

Yes, RFBLG is a 'Table Cluster' and BSEG is a 'Clustered Table'. There are no columns defined with long or long raw in my BSEG table, the RFBLG tbale does contain long raw (and would get the oracle error you mentioned . I need to do some more digging on my part.

Thanks,

Paul