cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple SLD in DEV QA and PROD XI and ID transports

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ALL,

I have few questions regarding having multiple SLD's. Can anyone give the answers?

I am using XI3.0. Right now I have Dev with its SLD. Now I want to install QA and PROD with their own SLD. The reason why I want to use it so that when I will transport ID from DEV to QA . I can use the same Business System names in DEV, QA and PROD SLD's. That will help in reducing the chnage effort required.

IS this possible?

As per SAP documentation whenever we have multiple SLD's, we always have one master SLD. This master SLD will have the details of all the other SLD's also.

So, if I take this as a point then that does it means that my above critieria is not possible. As if I have same business system names in DEV, QA SLD's. But in the master SLD that will create a conflict.

Am I right?

Next if i keep the same SLD for DEV, QA and PROD XI. Then i will be having my Appliaction system also in the same 3 system landscape. So the scenario in DEV XI will be configured for DEV application (Business )Systems (Services). IF I transport this DEV ID to QA then only details of comm channels will not be forwarded but the Business Service name will be for DEV boxes. So, that means, in a way I have to do the complete scenario configuration again for QA as I have to change the Business services also.

So how this transport of XI ID is useful?

So now how this all is handled? It seems i missing some link in between.

Anybody please help me on the same. It is really urgent also, as i have to advise the customer for this. Customer wants multiple SLD and I feel single will be good. But when I analyse the situation. The above questions arose.

So, please help as urgently.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

moorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

For first question- the answer is possible.

But if you are going for separate SLD for the sake of change involved/effort involved, then I will not prefer this. I will go for Central One SLD concept. Because maintaining the mulitple SLD is a tedious task during the long run.

<i>So how this transport of XI ID is useful?</i>

>>>No need of doing all the Configuration again, if you use one SLD. You just need to create different Business systems. If you set Tranport Target while transporting, then, you need to just change your communication channels. ( i.e directory name etc)

Related help-

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/31/f0ff69551e4f259fdad799a229363e/content.htm

Regards,

Moorthy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for you inputs Krishna.

I guess I didn't make my question clear.

In both the questions, point is same.

For the 1st and 2nd questions.

I know I can have multiple SLD for DEV,QA and PROD.

In this case I can use the "Same" Business System name for DEV, QA and PROD application systems. Now if I transport XI ID The business service name will be same, but in all DEV,QA and PROD XI SLD they will have different technical details. So single view to complete landscape. But what about Master SLD which will contain all the data from different SLD's. In the Master SLD the same Business Service name of DEV,QA and PROD SLD will give confilict. Won't it? If it gives then it means my idea isnot feasible. Please provide the inputs.

In the 3rd question .

I have Transport targets in Single SLD of DEV,QA ad PROD.

But when I have configured a scenario in DEV XI ID, at that time i will be using Business System of DEV Applications Systems. So now if I transport the DEV XI ID to QA the I agree i can change the settings of communication channel, but the Business System Service name will be same as of DEV Application systems. So, if I understand correctly i will be refering to the wrong Business System Service in QA XI ID. Although the communication channel settings ca be changed.

I hope I made my point clear.

I know it is quite complex. But I am trying to clarify it as I need the answer. Please ask questions if you have any doubt.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Arundeep Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Arun,

For point 3 single SLD approach ,I dont think you can use same Business system name in transport target. You have to create diffrent Business system for QA and assign as transport target to its corresponding Business system of DEV.

For e.g

In Dev you have

BS1_DEV, BS2_DEV etc you need to create BS1_QA, BS2_QA.

And attach these new BS as tranport target.

Hope it is clear now. We are usin common SLD for dev and multiple QA box and different SLD for production box.

Regards,

Satish Chauhan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Satish,

Thanks a lot for the help. It was really useful.

Now in your landscape u have DEV/QA SLD and PROD SLD separately.

Now if I understand then we can register an application system in one SLD only. Right?

So how the transport targets are defined from QA to PROD. As BS1_QA, BS2_QA are defined in DEV/QA SLD ad BS1_PROD and BS2_PROD are defined in PROD SLD. So how we define Transport targets BS1_PROD for BS1_QA and similar.

If i am not wrong we can't register an Application system in two SLD. But we can just declare BS1_PROD in DEV/QA SLD for the transport target sake. Is it how you are managing? And do we simultaneously do the similar in PROD SLD also? But that i my opinion doesn't give a unique representation of System Landscape.

And what about the master SLD? As SAP always metion that we should have one master that will keep all the data. Won't it make any conflicts?

Thanks for all the help.

Arundeep Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arundeep,

Is this blog useful. Might answer some of your questions.

/people/sap.india5/blog/2005/11/03/xi-software-logistics-1-sld-preparation

We are not using Master SLD.

Regards,

Satish Chauhan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

One Master SLD is always preferable as you will have one place where you know who is the sender and receiver. You generally don't keep a master SLD if you are catering to different geographies like North America, Europe, Asia etc.

There are some good docs in SDN whcih provides different landscape possible and why would use one and not the other.

Regards

Vijaya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vijaya,

If possible can you please provide the links those pages.

Thanks

Arundeep Singh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arundeep.

I wonder if you got a conclusion out of this topic?

I have the same questions but I haven't found an answer yet.

I have Dev with its SLD and QA with its SLD. How to transport Products, SWCV, TS (Technical System) and BS (Business System) from Dev to QA? Exporting and importing? If so, what about specific configurations of TS, specially of type Web AS ABAP? I want to keep TS's names and BS's names the same in Dev and QA. What about Groups and Transport Targets, do I have to configure it?

Can you please help me?

Thanks,

Rodrigo.

Answers (0)