Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Right now my client is having the below storage locations

1. Raw materilas

2 Semifinished

3 Finished materilas

4.Spare parts

Now they are going for warehouse management.

I need suggestion

1. If I assign all these storage locations to warehouse, what is the advantage and disadvantages?

2.If I assign only one storage location assign to warehpuse and transfer all these storage locations stocks to single storage location, what are the advantages and disadvantages.

Since after WM implementation we manage the stock at differnt storage types.

Please suggest me the best solution.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

The both question are seems like one or the other way, see my answers

1) Manage Different Stocks using Storage types

Advantage

i.) SAP WM Provided excellent standard storage type functionality to keep various stocks (Raw materilas, Semifinished,Finished materilas and Spare parts). So that you can manage all stocks under one storage location in one warehouse.

Disadvantage

ii.) Based on the storage location if you are using any custom functionality (to store or remove), that will not work.

2) If you keep the stocks in four storage location, those are assigned to one WM, In this case if you want do Stock Transfer

Advantages

i.)The Four storage locations geographically different places and then if you want manage one WM, this will be ok.

ii.)If you want to manage the stocks strictly in the separate locations, due to products characteristics or HU Managed finished you have to maintain separate storage location (SAP will now allow HU Managed and Non HU managed in one Storage location)

Disadvantage

i.)Due to space constraint, If you want to move stocks for temporarily from one storage location to another storage location under one warehouse, you have to create transfer posting in IM and then you have to create Posting Change Notification, Transfer Order at WM level (four steps involved here i.e Transfer Posting at IM level , PCN Creation, TO Creation and TO Confirmation at WM level)

Feel free to ask me if you have any questions

Thanks,

Madhu

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi friends............

am having a same problem.

our client is a health care. they are having 20 depts.each dept is having another 2 sub divisions. cold,hot temperatures.

how to maintain storage locations for all of this??

shal i go for warehouse management?? what is the use in moving warehouse management over storage locations??

plz explain me.............................

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Yes, you can go for Warehouse management. Warehouse Manage nothing but it manages the stocks in a systematic way in all the business processes (GR, GR, Internal moves etc) and internally, using the WM System you can optimize the stocks.

Answer to the other question, if the 2 sub divisions under one company code, plant and you are maintaining two different storage locations, you can club into one S. Loc and you can maintain one WM or you can keep in two S. Locs and those two S. Loc can be assigned into one WM

Absolutely you can go for warehouse management, you can define the storage type freezer and Normal and also you can maintain the temperature to store the freezer products

Thanks,

Madhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The concept of WM is to track stock (internal activities)

1. If I assign all these storage locations to warehouse, what is the advantage and disadvantages?

Then you will get details of stock movements(source bin,target bin etc) within WM for that storage location

2.If I assign only one storage location assign to warehouse and transfer all these storage locations stocks to single storage location, what are the advantages and disadvantages.

If you do so then it will difficult to segregate stock weather it is finish or spare or raw everything will be under one location and it is not viable to obtain reports on basis of WM-STORAGE location.

Kapil