cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

datafile 1 belongs to an orphan incarnation error in standby database

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi experts,

I checked the consistency of our standby database by switching it to primary. I issued command ALTER DATABASE ACTIVATE PHYSICAL STANDBY DATABASE; and ALTER DATABASE OPEN;. I have successfully loged on to that server and have checkedthe data. Now, when i'm going to tunr it back to its standby state. Here's what I've done:

SQL> shutdown immediate;

SQL> startup nomount;

SQL> alter database mount standby database;

Then it said that control files are not standby control files. So i created a standby control file in the main server and copied those files to the standby in their proper location.

I issued alter database mount standby database again and it successfully altered. But when I'm applying the redolog files, i'm getting error: ORA-19909 datafile 1 belongs to an orphan incarnation and it points the datafile. I've checked on RMAN on main and standby but both are sync with the incarnation list. What could be the problem?

Thank you in advance!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your support!

I've conducted a full backup and also created a new control file on the primary then restored it in the standby. It really seems that it is the only way to turn it back to its standby state.

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sir Ralph,

I am currently having the same error. Did this solve your problem?

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is no way back.

By opening read+write, you destroyed your standby database.

You have to rebuild it from scratch.

It's all in the manual, by the way.

Please read about the basic concepts of a standby database!

hope this helps

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

That's what i've been waiting for. What I'm going to do is to get a full backup of the primary database, send it to the standby and restore it there. But I still have some questions regarding this procedure.

1.For the full backup, is it ok to use the backup from the recently scheduled "whole database online backup" from DB13? or I should use the "whole database online+redolog backup"?

2. Upon restoration of this backup, do I have to delete something in my standby database? like the datafiles and control files? Or will BRTOOLS just overwrite them?

Thank you so much for your support!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please read the manual yourself! Or just try it out.

It has been some time since I built a standby database, and I did not use brtools for it.

So I can't provide a step by step guide.

But I suppose datafiles and controlfiles will be overwritten. And I suppose any online or offline backup will work, as long as you have got all the required redo log files.

regards