cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effect on sys. ressources by decr./incr. no. of paral. proc. for DTPs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everybody.

What does a change of the no. of parallel processes for DTP loads mean to the system ressources?

Is this correct?:

Decrese no. of parallel processes --> less no. of needed batch processes, less memory consumption (machine and database), longer runtimes

Increase no. of parallel processes --> more no. of needed batch proc., more memory needed, shorter runtimes

The reason why I'm asking is that in my case there are running a lot of process chains loading data in the background and I want to load data manually (on other objects but the same system) at the same time. But of course I dont wan't to overload the system that the process chains or my loads "runs on red" during memory overload or something like that.

Are there any experiences?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answer(s).

Greetings,

Sebastian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sebastian,

>> Decrese no. of parallel processes --> less no. of needed batch processes, less memory consumption (machine and database), longer runtimes

>> Increase no. of parallel processes --> more no. of needed batch proc., more memory needed, shorter runtimes

Those are generally correct, but you shoudn't mix long runtimes with high memory utilization. I faced many DTP processes with low memory utilization, but long runtime. Its opposite is correct, also.

In summary, it is so related with how much data you are loading to the system. I recommend that you monitor each type DTP load processes one by one and schedule those processes regarding your observations.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The summary you wrote above is correct.However to optimize the performance of your DTP loads you can also check for number of CPU avaialble and memory consumed at the time of DTP runs.You can also check for paging happening during the runs.To go for the optimized runs ensure the DTPs runs are processed at the time when the system is less loaded not in the business peak hours and more over you can try with small loads maintaing the process time and can gradually increase the loads keeping in mind the performance from the earlier loads processed.

Thanks

Romansh