cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESS Language Issue in Portal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am facing issues in all ESS home page framework iviews. Always the home page framework text is shown in English no matter what the user language is. And iview labels, etc. are shown properly in the language set for the user.

Lets say I logged in using French user, I see the workset texts, labels in all iviews etc. in the French language but the home page relevant texts say service description,area description etc., are always shown in English.

When I tried to debug the function module HRXSS_SER_GETMENUDATA from portal with an external break point,I noticed that

SY-LANGU is always passed as English, and this is the reason why the texts are always shown in English.

But when I execute the above function module using SAP GUI, SY-LANGU is properly set,meaning if the user is French, language is given as F and the texts are properly retrieved. This problem occurs only when I access ESS in portal

I have cross checked using SPRO that the Area description, Service Description etc., texts are maintained for English and French languages as well. And also ensured that Language is set to blank for the relevant JCO destinations.

I could not figure out what the issue is and seeking help from the community.

Kr,

San

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

siddharthrajora
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

So, usually the Date format is picked from

the Language settings of Portal to determince

the date settings, Let me give you the description on this one.

You can try using Su01 or Portal user profile.

http://help.sap.

com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/49/e607426338da6fe10000000a1550b0/

frameset.htm

Please have a look at the Note 947081, Now on a broader level

this can be achieved by the Note mentioned above.

the hierarchy of what locale a component will be shown in the portal,

will be :

1)component- if he have a locale define

2)Portal mandatory locale -( that was my suggest)

3)user locale

4)browser locale

5)Portal default locale

6)System locale

Could you please check the language maintained for the JCO Connections,

"SAP_R3_HumanResources and SAP_R3_SelfServiceGenerics " ?

Normally no language should be maintained for the above mentioned JCO's

If you have maintained any language for the JCO's ,kindly put it

blank.

- JCO Connection

they should be used with language blank. We just recomend to put a

language here, if everybody in the portal will use this language.

Please set them to blank, especially the connections mentioned in:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005vp/helpdata/en/8c/

cb3042366c0521e10000000a155106/frameset.htm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Siddharth,

All the time I was checking language for JCO destination-SAP_R3_HumanResources only.

Thanks for reminding me of one more JCo-SAP_R3_SelfServiceGenerics. which I somehow overlooked.

I have made blank now for this JCO and it is working fine.

Thanks for the help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Seems there is some issue in SDN. I am not able to find the radio buttons for assigning points, otherwise I want to close this thread.

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just when I wanted to answer something like "Yes you're right, I'm experiencing similar things" the forums went down for maintenance 😛

In my opinion you can set your question "answered" and give points later too, you don't have to close the thread. I usually leave my answered threads open, so people who experience similar problems later can post there even if it's answered.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lukas,

We are on EHP 5 and we have two portal , one is ESS HR Portal(HPP) which is federated to Enterprise portal(EPP).

The issue is, when an user changes the user profile language to spanish from default language english, all the content in the EPP portal is translating to spanish but some content from ESS portal is still in english, ex: personal profile. The ESS roles is a remote content to EPP from HPP.

Is that a federation issue?

The requirement is that, when an user changes the user profile language from personalize from top of the EPP screen, it should reflect the language selection for the whole portal content.

Please advice...

PS : We do not have LDAP..

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are right Lukas.

We need to leave the Language blank in SU01 so that it will take over the language of portal ume or that from the browser based locale. Looks like some where (might be SU01 language) English is set fro you so its returning the data in English.

-Yugandhar Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check the document "TEP10_1 SAP NetWeaver Portal Implementation and Operation" and in the page 197 and 198 You can find the response.

What is your M A I L for send you a screenshot.

Also check more links.

/people/community.user/blog/2006/10/16/modifying-the-logon-paror-customising-the-logon-screen

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/a000df6b-586a-2910-e6be-9fee831d5...

/people/dhruv.kk/blog/2005/09/29/customizing-portal-log-off-confirmation-box

Customizing Portal Log off confirmation box

/people/dhruv.kk/blog/2005/09/29/customizing-portal-log-off-confirmation-box

Log On Page Image Change :

/people/luisfelipe.lanz/blog/2006/04/11/a-fast-and-easy-portal-logon-page-customizing

Log On Page Customization :

http://jsbi.blogspot.com/2006/09/how-to-customize-login-screen-in-sap.html

Customizations of LogOn Master Head etc:

EP Look and Feel:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/wiki?path=/display/ep/lookandFeel

Customizing Portal LogOn with Steps ToDo:

/thread/932336 [original link is broken]

Customizing LogOn Page:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/43/fc3ae22adb025fe10000000a1553f7/frameset.htm

Modifying The Logon Par(or customising the Logon Screen)

/people/community.user/blog/2006/10/16/modifying-the-logon-paror-customising-the-logon-screen

Customizing the Logon Screens

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/23/c0e240beb0702ae10000000a155106/frameset.htm

Portal Customizations Intro - Login Part 1

/people/kai.unewisse3/blog/2006/06/28/portal-customizations-intro--login-part-1

Customizing the Logon User Interface of SAP Enterprise Portal

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/371e9d90-0201-0010-c39c-fd2956154...

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi San,

When ur logging in into portal as French user, are u setting the French locale first?

Or the user id which ur using has the Language attribute as Frenach.

If not try these options:

1. In IE browser go to Tool=>General=>Languages=>Add...

And add the French language/locale which u want and move this locale to the top, so that its the first language in the list. After this close the browser and open it and then try to login as French user and see if there is any change in behavior.

2. Set the user id language of this French user to French from the portal ume.

If these two options doesnu2019t work then go to SLD and check the JCou2019s language, make sure language field blank for JCos.

Regards

Yugandhar Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yugandar,

Thanks for the response. I have tried all the options but still the error does not get resolved.

1)I have made the user language to be at the top in IE languages, lets say for French user I have made French language at the top of the list, but still the text is shown in English.

2) Already the language is maintained for the user ithrough UME and also JCO destinatin language setting is already maintianed blank.

Let me know if I missed any thin else here.

Thanks

San

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

if you have:

1. Maintained the HPF in English ADN French. i.e. you logged on your System with your normal development user language English and configured HPF, then relogged with your user in laguegae french and configured HPF again (so you did it twice)..

2. ...and have set the JCo-Languages to blank

3. ...and have set the User Standard language to blank as well

--> the language which is used in portal either way will default to using the language set in Internet Explorer. If it doesn't, I wager there would be something wrong with your HPF configuration

regards, Lukas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes Lukas,

I have done the first and second steps mentioned by you.

But can you explain me what do you mean by User Standard language, and where do you set this?

My user data base is WAS ABAP i.e, R3 and default Language is maintained accordingly in the user profile. Where do I set the User Standard Language in this case.

May be you are right, there is some problem with HPF configuration, but not sure where the mistake is?

Any inputs would be helpful

Thanks

San

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I was talking about the user's logon-language in SU01, sorry for the confusion. I once had the same problem because the logon language was set to a specific one and not blank. You might want to try setting the logon language blank as well so that the only possible way the portal can know the language is via the I.E.

not sure if this does work for you but it's worth a try I think

regards, Lukas