cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports - scheduling best practice

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I would like to get some clarity on the best practice for scheduling Crystal Reports in a managed life cycle model. We are on XI 3.1 SP3.

We have public reports that are scheduled as recurring instances for different daily/monthly reports. Is it ideal that power-users schedule these reports in DEV and then when we move over objects to PROD have the schedule settings carried over? This way in PROD the same reports will have preserved schedule settings. However, what I would like to know is that for this to work I will need to migrate historical instances via Import Wizard which also would bring over any historical instances (with static Dev data) to Prod.

The other option is to move over just the report objects (schedule settings come over automatically) without the instances, which would mean users will have to set up similar recurring schedules in PROD again?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can do both ways, migrate report object with instance to prod or just migrate the report object and create the recurring instance by an admin.

If you migrate with instance then you have to delete all the instance that came from dev except recurring, as you mentioned. I would suggest you to migrate the report to Prod and create the recurring as in dev by an administrator, this way you can avoid any error that might happen due to migration.

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Guru - so in that case what would the plan be for any future migration that happen from Dev to Prod for the same report(s)? When future migrations overwrite a report object, will the recurring schedule set up in Prod get affected, possibly disappear? Also, how would you recommend handling a situation where the same report has different scheduling properties in both environments -- how to avoid overwriting of schedule properties in Prod with those from Dev when migration the Crystal Report obejcts?

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

When you migrate an existing report from Dev to Prod it will overwrite the report object but it wont affect the recurring (will not disappear). I am not sure about the scheduling properties, I believe it will overwrite with the dev version, but again not sure.