cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice or best practise information about 1 or 2 clients in SAP R/3 DEV

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm searching for advice or best practise information about clients in a SAP R/3 development system.

Reason for this is that we are up to refresh our SAP R/3 development system and up to now we have two clients on it:

- One customizing/development client without master data, transaction data et cetera

- One local test client with master data, transaction data and so on

One of our developers suggested to only have one client on development, where we could customize, program and test. So that client would be with master data, transaction data et cetera.

What would be your advice or what would be best practise for the development system: 1 client (with data) or 2 clients (one clean customizing and one with data). And what are the most important reasons to do it so.

Maybe there is already some good (SAP) information about this specific subject, but up to now I havenu2019t found it yet.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I prefer always three clients in development system.

1) For customizing

2) Golden master

3) Functional test client.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your advice Sunny, but what are your main reasons for your preference? Or are there technical reasons for your preference?

I'm searching for the reasons for having one, two (or more) clients in a SAP R/3 development system, so we can discuss these and finally make a (hopefully) good choice.

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for your advice Sunny, but what are your main reasons for your preference? Or are there technical reasons for your preference?

>

> I'm searching for the reasons for having one, two (or more) clients in a SAP R/3 development system, so we can discuss these and finally make a (hopefully) good choice.

Reason:

1) One client will have all customozing.

2) One will have functional changes.

3) One will be golden master (No changes will be allowed in this client, only you can do SCC1 from other clients) and from which transport will be allowed to quality.

Thanks

Sunny

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member311580
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

Perhaps in the SAP Help Library you will found useful information for your requirements. Please, start for the "Client Concept" in page:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/EN/89/933d3c3a926614e10000000a11402f/frameset.htm

Regards,

Rafa

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maybe I've asked my question too broad. I'll try to narrow it down.

Up to now we always had two clients on our SAP R/3 development system:

- Client 200 - Customizing/development only. No other data in this client

- Client 400 - Local test client with master data and transaction data. New customizing is copied from client 200 to test

The reason for having those two clients are:

- It feels someway good to have a customizing-only client

- We've always done this before

A developer suggested to only have one client in our SAP R/3 development system for the following reason:

- You'll never need to copy the customizing (tr.SCC1) first to be able to test it

- You can work in one client and don't need to login in the other client to test it (for example: ABAP reports)

- For customizing of easy setting (for example producthiërarchie, as we don't test it everytime in client 400) it is possible to forget copying it into client 400 (test client). With one client, you can not forget it

The reasons of this developer seems very valid and up to now we haven't found a convincing/compelling reason to make a good choice for one or two clients.

Please, try to convince us with good reasons to choose for one or two clients.