Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Role & Visibility of Moderators

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

I have few queries/concerns related to role & visibility of Moderates for which I'm looking for comments:

1. If the moderator is aware, that topic is discussed in recent past (within 3 months). Instead of encourage the user go for search & block the post. Is it justified he/she respond with to the query.

2. Unlike Mentors, why moderators have there own space or identity which differentiate them other users in Find Expert Page?

say, "M" icon against there name, similar to that of SAP & Contributor Category.

3. Its a privilege to be a Moderator at SCN. Then why SCN points are important for moderators? Why can't be they be more like regulators and maintain sanity of respective ?

In anticipation.

Thanks & Regards

J Prakash

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Not sure what triggered your concerns, but here are my replies:

1. I disagree. People should be able to help themselves and not unload their work onto other forum members or moderators. Still sometimes I am pointing them to the correct place, once the thread arrived in the "points free" environment, depending on the politeness shown, among other things. It also depends if the question has been asked once in the past three months or many times.

2. I don't understand, please clarify

3. It sure is more work and less a privilege. Who said points are important to us? What is "sanity of respective"?

Thomas

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Sir

let me take opportunity to rephrase my concerns

1. Say, Here I want mention one of the few instance out of similar context. That a query was post on to the SCN forum. If the moderator is aware that topic is very general & discussed very frequently. Instead of encourage the user go for search & block the post. He/she responds. Whereas in many instance where the normal user replies or posts are blocked instantly.

2. Unlike Mentors, why moderators have there own space or identity which differentiate them other users in Find Expert Page?

say, "M" icon against there name, similar to that of SAP & Contributor Category.

Kindly refer following link & let me know any other category other SAP & Contributor: - [CURRENT LIST OF THE LEADING CONTRIBUTORS IN ALL AREAS|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/leadingcontributors]

3. Yeah do agree with, Moderator job is more work and less a privilege. But M logo by your name side is really honored.

You will agree with me that Moderator are source of inspiration & mostly considered to be expert contributors.

Okay. I take your words that "Who said points are important to us?" Then why SCN points are visible to normal contributors.

Others thing Why can't be Moderator be more like regulators & expert (as I hardly see any mentor contribution in daily day to day post)?

In anticipation.

Thanks & Regards

JP

ThomasZloch
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

OK, well my reply for 1) is still the same.

2. on this overview page only the contributor and SAP badges, but not the moderator or mentor badges are shown. Many moderators and mentors are on the list though, there is no separation of any kind. As for why only two of four badges are shown, maybe SCN administration can answer that (I'm just a moderator).

3. I agree that as a moderator I represent SCN, it's rules of engagement and a general "netiquette" that must not be written down in every detail but should be common sense among educated people. For example I have cut down significantly on my sarcastic replies to "special" questions since being a moderator, in order to be more politically correct and not bend the rules my way. The "fun part" has suffered a bit since, but you can't have it all, right?

I also agree that moderators should be experts in their area of moderation, all moderators I know fit this description.

Being a mentor and moderator are two different things, some stellar folks manage to be both on a regular basis. I'm a moderator and have lots to do handling one of the most frequented forums here (together with very capable colleagues), so only if time and the nature of the question allow then I feel like playing the expert card.

Thomas

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Instead of encourage the user go for search & block the post. He/she 
  responds. Whereas in many instance where the normal user 
    replies or posts are blocked instantly.

Can you give me one example in line with your above comments ?? Normally, if a newbie is posting any basic or repeated question, Moderators will advise not to post such question without locking the thread. On the other hand, if an old member keeps posting such question, then definitely, it should be locked.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Lakshmipathi Sir,

I have high regards for you & your commitment & contribution towards SCN.

But, I strongly disagree about you comment about newbie.

As there is no parameter/indicator for being newbie on SDN,

- where you can indicator or recognize the user as newbie.

- any restriction of opening multiple SCN IDs, provided you are using a 'S' or 'I' or 'SAP' Ids for login.

So, if you are a newbie user or cross functional guy, doesn't give them flexibility to post general queries without even looking into SAP Help in first place or searching SCN wiki-es or searching which search engine.

For instance, check following thread (but sorry to say that involved you sir)

-

There when I had saw the thread and the way query was addressed. It clearly indicates the user is not newbie([since Registered:Jan 31, 2011|]). Before you replied the post. I had already mark the post as abuse with Failed to search properly.

Even the post clearly states indicates he is aware of SAP SD & business flow.

It seems you are jealous against some Moderators and 
I dont know who you are pinpointing but the fact is that almost 
all Moderators are helping the members.

Frankly sir, yes I'm jealous with you or any other moderators but not for your forum points...

I'm real fan of your knowledge & the way you represent the solution to a query...which precising & smartly answered with due patience.

If I'm contributing SDN then I take you as my inspiration for learning & learning best and improving.

So, no doubt you are my idol.

You will agree, pupil can't be competitor of the mentors.

Kindly don't miss read me on that.

With best regards,

JP

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
As there is no parameter/indicator for being newbie on SDN

Normally, I see when they get registered and accordingly, I will take a call. Of course, at times, this would miss my attention.

In the thread also which you were referring, though as you said, the member has registered in Jan'11, but still I feel, he / she is a newbie considering the number of posts he / she has posted.

On the below comments,

I had already mark the post as abuse with Failed to search properly

I should say thank you for the efforts you have taken and trying to keep the forum a clean slate.

Last but not least, thank you for the compliments.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My query no.2

On this overview page only the contributor and SAP badges, 
but not the moderator or mentor badges are shown. Many moderators 
and mentors are on the list though, there is no separation of any kind. 
As for why only two of four badges are shown, maybe SCN administration 
can answer that

Looking for comments from other Moderators as well as including SCN administration.

Correct me, if I have to address this question some other forum.

In anticipation.

Thanks & Regards

JP

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

And now I'll add my comments.

1. It is up to each moderator how to run the forum of their expertise. Each forum attracts a different audience, have a different style, and responses have to be tailored to that. I'm far stricter in ABAP General than ABAP Objects. In my view, answering a question in part, as Lakshmipathi did, and then telling the poster to search for further info is entirely appropriate. Ultimately, moderation is a subjective task. You'll disagree with some actions and agree with others.

2. I don't care whether their is an M beside my name anywhere except in forum posting. It's necessary there to alert people that we're taking an interest, or that the "stop it" notice comes from someone in authority. Beyond that - e.g. in active contributors - it's irrelevant.

3. I don't care about points. If there were no points next to my name, and no silver/gold/platinum/plutonium badge, it wouldn't bother me in the least. Mentors are the ones who are supposed to be experts. And there are mentors in the active contributors list. If there are mentors who aren't regular users of the forums, then I have to wonder where they are doing their mentoring.

Newbies are fairly easy to spot. There are two types. First, people new to the forums but not the SAP - they need guidance on not violating forum rules. Second people new to SAP. They need guidance on not expecting to be spoonfed and learning how to search - how to find information for yourself - before posting a question.

The important point to note is that, in my view, the role of moderators is not to act as experts in the forum. It's to keep the forums under control.

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It always being pleasure interacting with you. Nice comments.

I like to take opportunity to thank you. For suggesting me in putting up this post on this forum.

Mentors are the ones who are supposed to be experts. 
And there are mentors in the active contributors list. 
If there are mentors who aren't regular users of the forums, 
then I have to wonder where they are doing their mentoring.

the role of moderators is not to act as experts in the forum.
 It's to keep the forums under control.

active contributors - it's irrelevant.

Thanks & Regards

JP

Former Member
0 Kudos

but not for your forum points...

You would also make a good moderator IMO. Ponits are not a good motivator for mods or anyone else for that matter, but rather the lowest common denominator of all our problems...

Cheers,

Julius

David
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

2. on this overview page only the contributor and SAP badges, but not the moderator or mentor badges are shown. Many moderators and mentors are on the list though, there is no separation of any kind. As for why only two of four badges are shown, maybe SCN administration can answer that (I'm just a moderator).

Actually, I have no clue what the design specs were for the page. They possibly follow some of the logic that was used in the forums for displaying icons. The badge display certainly makes sense. You would want to see what level different people are when looking at a top contributor list.

Edited by: David Branan on Jun 6, 2011 6:24 AM

Edited by: David Branan on Jun 6, 2011 6:29 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jyoti Prakash,

Good evening,

Thanks for the opinion about SCN moderators.

Sri

London

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

2. [Forum Moderators|http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/Community/Forum+Moderators]

Rob

stephenjohannes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

JP, Lots of responses since your original three questions, but I will answer also

1) Most of the time I try to encourage folks to answer via referencing other threads when possible if they now. However after reading 30 to 100 posts a day as a moderator sometimes everything blurs together and you don't always or can catch these.

2) Well there is supposed to be a public list of moderators so people know who to contact. The reason why there is the moderator icon is so you also know who the moderators are by reading the forums. Keep in mind some of us don't invoke our moderator status unless we are "on duty". If I'm talking from my official moderator stance then I will put forum moderator beneath my name. It also means that moderators have to be on "better behavior" because we are visible.

3) Most moderators don't chase after rewards, they tend to answer lots of questions in their area. Most moderators became moderators because of expertise and community spirit/participation. It's hard to moderate an area in which you don't participate.

Last point which I'm sure you know and was discussed most moderators are volunteers. That does't mean moderators have carte blanche to do as they please, but keep in mind that with the exception of a few SAP employees, the moderators are doing this job because they "support the community". Moderation is not a glamorous volunteer role and is basically get your hands-dirty type of participation that the primary benefits are seeing a vibrant community and building relationships with those in the community.

Take care,

Stephen

stephenjohannes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Matt & JP,

I'm going to put on my SAP Mentor hat and answer a few questions in regards to that

1) SAP Mentors are not SCN Mentors. Now that sounds funny coming from someone who became a SAP Mentor from their contributions to SCN, but keep that mind. The SAP Mentors contribute/influence to the SAP ecosystem through more channels than just SCN.

2) Contributing to SCN is not a requirement to be a SAP Mentor. In an ideal world if every SAP Mentor contributed like a top contributor on SCN, it would awesome, but also take away from the beauty of the program that has people who interact through other channels in the program.

3) SCN is though the home of the SAP Mentors. This fully true in the sense that there is a SAP Mentor public and private wiki, private SAP Mentor forum and generally the place for SAP Mentors to publish/republish their blogs that either were created on SCN or created elsewhere.

Finally the rest of the clarification is at:

http://sapmentors.sap.com

If you want to branch these questions into separate thread in the suggestion & comments/coffee corner about the SAP Mentors and their contributions on SCN please do so. I can even try to drag a few SAP Mentors to that thread if you like.

Take care,

Stephen

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks every one.

Particularly, Stephen for clarifying my doubt regarding SAP Mentor roles.

So, hereby I'm closing this thread so that I can post 3 different post for views & comments from other members also.

Thanks & Regards

JP

former_member46
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

HI JP,

I've been following along this interesting discussion. I know you closed the thread (I'm glad your questions were answered) but I want to ask you - do you feel the moderator M icon is missing from the expert list? Or on other parts of the site? For example should it appear in the blogs too?

I'm interested in your thoughts and others who would like to weigh in.

Thanks, Gali

jpfriends079
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Gali,

Nice to hear for you.

From my personal experience I like to share.

I get frequently mails for assistance out of SDN. Only b'coz my name flashes in "EXPERT LIST" & People expect accordingly.

So, when this list is purely based on contribution on SCN & when the Moderators are integral part of it.

I definitely feel the moderator M icon is missing from

- expert list.

- list of contributor

- Blogs

B'coz as already mentioned in one reply threads by Stephen that

most moderators are volunteers. That does't mean moderators 
have carte blanche to do as they please, but keep in mind that with the 
exception of a few SAP employees, the moderators are doing this job 
because they "support the community". Moderation is not a glamorous 
volunteer role and is basically get your hands-dirty type of participation 
that the primary benefits are seeing a vibrant community and building 
relationships with those in the community.

Thanks & Regards

JP

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Then why SCN points are important for moderators?

It seems you are jealous against some Moderators and I dont know who you are pinpointing but the fact is that almost all Moderators are helping the members.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi