cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated to CR 2008 - now have new problem with truncated String fields.

former_member1110314
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi there

I'm hoping someone has a simple answer for this one... notice there's a lot of it on forums but I haven't found an answer.

Since updating to Crystal 2008 (Crystal 12), we have found that some reports are suddenly truncating string fields at 255 characters, despite the field value being much longer in the database.

Does anyone know what to do to allow these fields to print in completion?

Database connection is ODBC RDO.

regards

-Karen

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member1110314
Participant
0 Kudos

DAtabase software company has given solution: when setting up fields for report, mark the String fields as "Value as Text" and this prompts Crystal to translate the field into a Memo field.

Thanks all for assistance.

-Karen

Former Member
0 Kudos

What database are you connecting too?

ian

former_member1110314
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ian

I don't understand your question. The database is proprietary and I have always connected to it (for 5 years) using the same method. This problem did not ever occur until the recent update to Crystal 2008 (ie. Crystal 12).

-Karen

Edited by: KarenB on Jun 6, 2011 1:15 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the database Oracle, SQL server etc.

Can you query the database directly with another query tool, eg SQL Server Management Studion or SQL developer/Toad for Oracle.

You can then run the Crystal query directly and see if its your ODBC connection that is truncating the datafield or Crystal.

I have memo fields on SQL server with up to 2000 characters and these display in Crystal 2008 without any problem. We use ODBC (RDO) too.

Ian

former_member1110314
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ian,

Yes I have plenty of reports with Memo fields in them that do not have this problem. The problem is occurring on a String field that exceeds 255 characters.

If I could somehow to get Crystal to view the field as a Memo instead of a String, that might solve the problem.... however I don't think that is possible! (going by all the other people with the same problem).

cheers

-Karen