cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing PDF in MDM Catalog

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

I have imported PDF into MDM successfully. Unfortunately when i browse thru the MDM catalog, i able to see a whole string of file link information and cannot view the PDF.

Anyone knows the PDF viewing works in catalog view?

Many thanks,

GG

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello GG

Push the link and your pdf will open in another window

Regards

Kanstantsin Chernichenka

Former Member
0 Kudos

it cannot be pushed and obviously the link is longer than the field (255char)

the screens capture as below:

[http://imageshack.us/f/98/26917422.jpg/]

Former Member
0 Kudos

here the pdf is taken in the screen as a text field and hence cant be clicked ! - this is as per design

what you have to do instead is to have this link in the "hyperlink table" and put this as a TYPE LINK

then u need to put this field in the screen.

then it would appear as a link which u can click

thanks

-Adrivit

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi adrivit, sorry i dont quite get it. can please elaborate more. thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

if u are using the standard SRM MDM repository - ur data model will have a table called Hyper links in the console

can u confirm that and the fields that the table has ??

thanks

-Adrivit

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes, i'm using standard repository and have all hyperlinks, mime type, url such fields/tables.

i have uplaoded pdf files under pdf tables. do you mean that i need upload links of my pdf files to hyperlink?

thx

Former Member
0 Kudos

correct -

in the MIME type use Link or PDF

in the URL put in the actual paths where PDFs are stored

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Below SAP note will answer your question.

"Note 1533034 - Use of PDF attachments in SRM-MDM Catalog 3.0"

You need to attach pdf documents with catalog items using Hyper links look up table

Maintain PDF documents with Catalog items using Hyper links Qualified table as below:

Hyperlink Type = Link

MIME type = PDF

URL = URL or path for PDF document

URL Description = PDF name or description.

Best Regards,

Shiv

Former Member
0 Kudos

just notice the URL is too long and exceeds 255 char, so it doesn't display properly.

wondering how to control it? seems too many system paramenters in the URL.

thx

Former Member
0 Kudos

put a URL Description = PDF name or description. (<255 char)

this would be shown and not the URL itself

thanks

-Adrivit

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Glen,

That's true. URL field in MDM is defined as 250 character text field.

Just an idea, If your URLs are too long then you can use some short URL generator and can generate short URLs. then you can store these short URLs in MDM instead of looking for work around to store long URL. You can check[ www.tiny9.com/ |www.tiny9.com/]

Best Regards,

Shiv

Former Member
0 Kudos

uploaded following to Hyperlinks:

Type = Link

MIME Type = PDF

URL = ABC.PDF

when i clicked the hyperlinks in the catalog, i received following error:

Application error occurred during request processing.

Details: com.sap.tc.webdynpro.services.sal.core.DispatcherException: The requested deployable object 'sap.com/tcmdmsrmcat~uisearch' and application '' are not deployed on the server. Please check the used URL for typos.

Exception id: 76EFFC26D70200670000000100B202D80004A5560EBCC579

right-click the URL and it shows:

10.xxx.xx.xxx:xxxxx/webdynpro/dispatcher/sap.com/tcmdmsrmcat~uisearch/ABC.pdf

something not deployed yet? any ideas please.

tq.

Former Member
0 Kudos

whats this ABC,pdf ???

this is not a qualified URL where ur pdf are - when clicked its trying to launch the catalog UI again

thanks

-Adrivit

Former Member
0 Kudos

"ABC.pdf" is the pdf file name.

former_member206388
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi.

Which patch version of Catalog you are using now? Also check with the latest available patches, if SAP has provided bug fixes for the PDF issue. you may find some.

Regards

Bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

my problem is the URL is too long, more than 255 char which cannot store in Hyperlinks-URL.

eg like: http://10.xxx.xx.xxx:xxxxx/XXX_XXX/objectServer//pdf?id=xxx&variant=Thumbnail&cachePath=

/tmp/largetObjectRepositoriesCachedFolder/xx.xxx.xx.xxx/RepositoryPort_xxx/XXX/SRM/xx.xxx.xx.xxx

/XXX/English_US/&relativePath=x05/00000/x0000xxxv-2.pdf

Former Member
0 Kudos

it is patch 5 (7.1.05.109)

Former Member
0 Kudos

abc.pdf if thats the name - what u intend to show to the end users - that should be put in the URL description(as the actual URL is too long)

in the URL field - instead of abc.pdf put the qualified actual URL (://..... / ..... / )and things will work !

thanks

-Adrivit

Former Member
0 Kudos

understand that but notice that the URL is too long (more than 255 char) which the field doesn't fit it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

ah ok -

bring repository down and go to console to check if you can edit the field type / length for field URL in hyperlinks table ??

thanks

-Adrivit

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Adrivit,

Unfortunately I do not agree with your last suggestion i.e. changing the field type/length. Below are my thoughts:

1. Once the field is defined and saved in MDM then in most of the cases system doesn't allow to update the Field type. Yes, for some field types it allows, but very minimal options will be available. This field is defined as "Text" field with 250 characters. By design, MDM System won't allow you to change this field to any other field type. Yes, MDM will allow you to change it to "text normalized", but that won't help in this case, as text normalized also got same length restriction.

2. Maximum length restriction of a text field is 333 characters.

3. In SRM-MDM Catalog scenario, I do not consider it a best practice to change the standard fields/tables, especially when we don't know impact of the change on standard SRM-MDM Search UI and Catalog UI applications.

Glen,

if your URLs are too long then I can think of only two ways:

1. Copy your PDF from old location to new location (if it shortens the Path URL)

OR

2. Use some free URL generators to shorten the long URLs.

In case none of above solution is feasible for you, then Please check with SAP on this before making any change in the repository.

-Shiv

former_member206388
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Glen.

Can you tell me if hyperlink as a URL works from the catalog. Instead of PDF, Can you check if hyperlink of type Link with some other url (For Ex: www.sap.com) and some image link works. If it works then hyperlink works fine from catalog.

If it doesn't, then it looks the problem is not with MDM or the length of the URL. Its something to do with the web application server and its patches. I remember once there was such issue I faced not able to launch an image file and later it was not launching at all. Then we identified there was some issue with the webdynpro framework as such and it is resolved with the upgradation to the latest patches.

Regards

Bala

Former Member
0 Kudos

anyone please help?

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

have tested other hyperlinks and it works well. obviously i need reduce URL lenght.

need check with basis on where those files actually stored at.

Former Member
0 Kudos

anyone can advice how to change the deafult upload path for PDF file in MDM?

also, the uploaded filename is completely different from its origin filename. any ideas please?

thank you.