cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWDS - Connection to SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1- I have installed NWDS on the machine and now I want to connect to SAP to work on web dynpro java applications/components.

How to achieve this - I mean where should I specify SAP server info?

2- And then after connectivity how to acccess web dynpro java.

I have worked in web dynpro ABAP, for this we go to SE80. Where do we need to go in NWDS in order to work on WDJ. If u have some document/blog pls share.

3- Could you pls tell me what is the diff b.w NWDS & NWDI.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

siddharthrajora
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for ur replies. I have installed NWDS to modify ESS application. I need to write a small validation on 401K amount fields. I already mention that in my earlier posts.

Now first question, is it possible thru NWDS??? Or do I need to install NWDI? I am confused bcoz some ppl say that NWDI is the only way to modify/enhance ESS apps. If so , then what is the purpose of NWDS.

If it's possible to in NWDS, then 2 questions;

1- How to import the 401k-benefits page in to NWDS.

2- Is there any way to enhance it like BADI's etc....or what approach been followed normally in this scenario when you need to put some validations which are not possible thought backend ECC system.?

I mean how you do it, is there any BADI mechanism or we copy the code and create a z*....or?

pls suggest.

Thanks,

siddharthrajora
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

validtion can be done through badi i prescribed earlier, cause if you enter something and review, a check is done for these fields in the business logic.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You mean in ECC?

Actually I have checked there is no BADI in which I can put the validation on 401K - Amount & Percentage field. I need to check if both are entered then generate error message. Its simple validation but both fields are not available in BADI, user exit?

If you know some, pls help.

Thanks,

siddharthrajora
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

yeah for some calculation you can do via

Class: CL_IM_BEN_US_EE_SAV_LIM

Method: IF_EX_PBEN_PAY0005~EVALUATE_EE_CONTRIB

BAdI PBENUS_PAY0007.

include LHRBENUSGENERALF05

form process_catchup_countr

PBEN_PAY0008 Country exit for checking contribution limits

PBENUSPS_PAY0008 Customer exit for EE limit calculation

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have checked all the badis' which u have mentioned infact all which starts with PBEN* but the problem is this field - PA0169-EEPCT is not availabe in exits....

I need to put the validation on PA0169-EEPCT & PA0169-EEAMT fields.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

TusharShinde
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

NWDS & NWDI are extensively used in Web Dynpro JAVA.

-> NWDS is also used for customization of PAR files that are available on Portal and also there are many uses of NWDS.

-> NWDI, is mainly used for Customization of standard WebDynpro Java DC's say for eg: ESS Components, but its use is not limited to customization of Standard DC's, If you want to understand NWDI just check Link /people/shreyas.pandya/blog/2011/01/06/nwdi-empowered-landscape-vs-landscape-without-nwdi-setup to a SDN Blog it clearly gives an idea, how in a team you can make effective use of NWDI for custom developments too.

NWDS vs NWDI

1. I hope the above Blog cleared your doubt.

2. But still, NWDI can be accessed on a local System using NWDS -> Development Configuration Perspective.

3. NWDS helps to create, edit & update Standard (via NWDI) and Custom Developments and also for Netweaver Portal Customization.

4. NWDS is a IDE (Integrated Development Environment) whereas NWDI is like a System or a Setup, which helps to manage Developments in the entire System Landscape right from Development to Production. It gives a R/3 like facility where, if you start changing a Application its asks to create a Transport Request(Activity) and once things are working you can release the TP(Activity).

Comparing NWDS vs NWDI is more difficult than to go through text provided on this topics. Initially it seems to be difficult but once you start with it, then there is no end.

To conclude, NWDS & NWDI are subset of each other.

Regards

Tushar

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. Window -> preferences -> SAP J2EE Engine..

2. Window -> open Perspective -> Other -> Select Web Dynpro from list..

Once done you will find a web dynpro icon or left panel of NWDS. Click on it and start exploring....

3. Visit below thread

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I did the way you mentioned. Now How can I see existing/standard/custom web dynpro app/components for ESS. Pls help.

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

For that you will have to set up NWDI...

Check NWDI Cookbook for XSS.pdf in SAP Notes 872892

once you are done with this....You need to import ess in NWDS....below article only describes this step....

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/208974c1-b4c2-2b10-cbb4-eac704d7b...