cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where is ESR ,Service Registry in ECC or SAP-PI?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

i am trying to develop a custom web service in ECC 6.0 with the end point "Function module' . i went to SE80 and did all the required things.

I want to know where is my ESR and service registry in ECC? Does it only exists in SAP-PI or it also exists in R/3 ECC 6.0 ? I dont know about it and if it exists in ECC 6.0 how does SOAMANAGER helps and what role does it play in that?

so when ECC 6.0 act as a service provider , our WSDL will be generated in R/3 ECC 6.0 so in that case where we register our service and how?

Well I read that SAP Service Registry along with Enterprise Services Repository are shipped with SAP NetWeaver Process Integration 7.1 and SAP NetWeaver Composite Environment 7.1 but then when we create our custom enterprise services in R/3 ECC System how ESR and Enterprise registry comes in to play? how this whole thing works?

Regards,

Mayank

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mayank,

Key message: ESR + SR is part of PI and/or CE and doesn't exist on ECC.

Now regarding your confusion over service created on ECC from FM:

ESR is modeling tool which just model the service, and you can't really execute this service until unless you implement it somewhere (may be ECC). ESR act as central repository of meta-data of all services, however no service execute on ESR and it is just some sort of storage place. Real benefits ESR gives is that you can connect different systems with ESR and extract meta-data (WSDL) to implement webservice in backend (ECC or Java).

On other hand Service Registy act as yellow page where information about actual services is available so if you are looking for some specific service you look into yellopages (Service Registry) and locate the endpoint (actual address) of webservice, again service execute on backend systems not in Service Registry.

When you create service out of FM in ECC then you are still creating service but you are not using ESR, you can also publish service into Yellowpages(Service Registry) so others can locate your service. This approach is called inside-out development, for inside out development you don't need ESR.

You can also design same service in ESR first and then create proxy in ECC and call FM inside proxy, this approach is known as outside-in approach of developing services.

On SCN you can find plenty of information on this subject, and remember outside-in/top down approach is recommended (design first then develop).

Regards,

Gourav

Answers (0)