Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Having trouble with a client. [Unable to load reports. (0x8000020D)]

I have an application deployed using Visual Studio 2005, and Crystal Reports XI R2 SP6.

Most of my clients have no problems running the application, though one is having problems. Whenever they go to run a report they get an "Unable to load report." error.

I've tried everything to get it fixed, and recently installed a copy of Crystal Reports XI R2 SP6 itself instead of the runtimes, which seemingly fixed the problem, but when it is removed the error returns. The client has at LEAST 10 users at any one time, so I can't ask them to buy 10+ copies of CR for themselves. Is there some other reason that I'd be receiving this message, even when using the Merge Modules for SP6? I can't seem to get any further ahead here, having tried many things to fix the problem.

They use a local admin setup for all of their user accounts, which is setup to run through a network. I thought that this what was causing the problems at first, but seeing as it worked fine after installing Crystal Reports itself this has been pretty much ruled out.

I've ensured that all users have access to Windows\Temp and AppData's Temp directory. All users have access to the RPT files themselves, and my program can SEE the files, which leads me to believe that it's possible that Crystal can't. All files are stored on the local C:\, and are in a simple "C:\Program Files\xxx\ReportFiles" directory. I've gone through and made sure the Crystal Reports engine DLLs are correct. I've reinstalled the redistributable many times in several forms. The problem persists on Windows XP and Windows 7, both 32 and 64-bit machines, but again, only for this client. I can't even emulate the problem locally.

This is the full error message:

System.Exception: Load report failed. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8000020D): Unable to load report.

at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ClientDoc.ReportClientDocumentClass.Open(Object& DocumentPath, Int32 Options)

at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ReportClientDocumentWrapper.Open(Object& DocumentPath, Int32 Options)

at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ReportClientDocumentWrapper.EnsureDocumentIsOpened()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at CrystalDecisions.ReportAppServer.ReportClientDocumentWrapper.EnsureDocumentIsOpened()

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.Load(String filename, OpenReportMethod openMethod, Int16 parentJob)

at CrystalDecisions.CrystalReports.Engine.ReportDocument.Load(String filename)

I'm basically at my wits end here. Any help at all would be GREATLY appreciated.

Helpful Answer

Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question