Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a track in NWDI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'am new to NWDI.

I want to create a track,let me know where i can do that.

I checked few posts,where i can see that it can be done in CMS Landscape Configurator, where i can see this

Regards,

Pradeep

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (11)

Answers (11)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We have all our code and files in a .war file and we want to move it to NWDI wherein we want to create SC and tracks. Can you please guide how we can achieve this?

Thanks

Harshmeet

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

if you import an SC (in CMS -- transport studio -- development tab) the import process is trying to do 3 things:

1, import it into the DTR

2. build (CBS make)

3. deployment

The first step checks if the SC which you are importing has sources or not.

From this point of view we have two type of SCs. The one which is only Archive, i.e. does not contain sources, it is only required to build software, and the other is which is containing sources (hint: you can also see these table column types 'Source' and 'Archive' in the Compartment view of CBS).

Regarding the SCs which are containing sources, you can still decide if you want to develop them or not. If you want to develop them AND the SC contains really sources, then the first step (DTR import) will not fail, but if you specify an SC as Developed SC, and the SC does not contain physically sources, then you face this error

"import failed, because the sources are not contained in the archive"

Now there are two questions to be answered.

1. how to decide if an SC contains sources.

2. where to set if you want the given SC to be developed or not.

The easiest answer for question 1 is maybe that you can look up the SC in question on your disk, rename it to ZIP, and look into its contents with a single extractor like WINZIP or WINRAR. If you can see a folder inside called SOURCEARCHIVES then the SC is meant to be (allowed to be) developed by customers. If not, then you cannot develop it.

Example: SAP_ESS, SAP_MSS, SAPPCUIGP has sources while SAP_BUILDT, SAP_JTECHS and SAP-JEE has no sources, however all of them are required for the track configuration in order to develop ESS. If you know that you won't change for example on SAPPCUIGP, you can remove the "developed" flag (see next section below) because you know it is not required to have it in DTR.

The answer for question 2 is that if you go the CMS webui -- Landscape Configurator -- Track Data tab, and select the track in question on the right hand side from the list, then you will see the configured SCs, and there you can also see a checkbox in the table "Developed".

Now if you set this "Developed" flag for an SC which has no SOURCEARCHIVES and you try to import it in the CMS webui -- Transport Studio -- Development tab, then you face the error, since due to this flag the import expects sources, but they are physically not available in the SC file.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Ervin

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

there is no need to touch the "Configure Check-in". As default it points to the correct folder, to the <transport folder>/CMS/inbox.

I only mentioned this because sometimes customers are configuring it to point to a different folder, and still expecting that the SCs should be placed into the default one. I only mentioned this configuration as a potential source of misunderstanding. If that configuration is untouched, and displays only "inbox", that should be fine.

Regarding your other question, yes, once the SCAs are there in the <transport folder>/CMS/inbox and as mentioned once the prerequisites of the note "#1259604 u2013 CMS check-in tab: Not all files from inbox are displayed" are fulfilled, the SCA files will show up.

Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

I'm able to see the SC's in Check-In tab now, i selected all the SC's and clicked on Check-In, now i can see the SC's in Development tab but when i select a SC and click on Import it is giving the status Import Failed and when i see the log of it below is the error message it has given

"import failed, because the sources are not contained in the archive"

I checked few forums where the same is discussed and provided some solutions but i still face the same error even after following the solutions given in the forums.

[;

Regards,

Pradeep

Edited by: pradeep balam on Aug 18, 2011 2:43 PM

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

please ask the basis guys (who have permission to execute commands on OS level) to check if under the folder

/usr/sap/trans/EPS/in/CMSXXXXXX

the following subfolder is available:

CMS

Check if under CMS folder the following subfolders are existing:

archives

config

extract

inbox --> this is where the SCA files must be copied. If the other prerequisutes are fulfilled, then they will show up at check-in.

log

scripts

Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

In Configuration check by default Inbox is there i changed it to /usr/sap/trans/EPS/in/CMSXXXXX/CMS/inbox, is it the right way to do. Also let me know once we copy the SCA's to this location on OS level we should be able to see them in Check-In/Development tab. Correct me if am wrong.

Regards,

Pradeep B

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

please try the following:

1. look up the folder displayed on the Domain Data tab in CMS webui (in landscape configurator). Let's call it now <transport folder>.

2. execute the OS command ls -alR <trasnport folder> and copy-paste the output here (notice, "R" is capital in the ls command).

3. Let me know if you have did any configuration under the feature "Configure Check-in". You find this in CMS -- Transport Studio (select the track) and you find it on the "Check-in" tab. Normally you should see only one entry here: "inbox".

Please also ensure that you execute the OS command on the machine (see point 2) which is also defined on the Domain Data tab.

The error message cleary shows that there is something wrong with the availibility of the folder <trasnport folder>/CMS/inbox

Thanks and Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

In Domain Data of the track am seeing the Transport directory path as "/usr/sap/trans/EPS/in/CMSXXXXXX"

I cant execute the commad as we dont have rights to the server.

When i click on Configuration Check-In tab i'am able to see Inbox.

And basis guy said that he has given me permissions to /usr/sap/trans/EPS/in

Regards,

Pradeep B

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

the SCs shall be displayed automatically once certain prerequisites are fulfilled.

See these prerequisites in the note which I have sent recently.

I am in a call right now, but I try to look for the current prolbem later which you face at the moment.

Regards,

Ervin

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think update CMS is not necessary.

Please doublecheck the note:

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1259604

and consider the <sid>adm access rights for the transport folder as mentioned previously.

Best Regards,

Ervin

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep,

the SCA files for checkin shall be in the <transport folder>/CMS/inbox

Your transport folder is available on the "Domain Data" tab of the Landscape Configurator of the CMS webui.

If there you can see /usr/sap/trans/EPS/in/CMSxx1as1XX1, then it means that at check-in CMS expects the files under

/usr/sap/trans/EPS/in/CMSxx1as1XX1/CMS/inbox. Unless you configure it differently using the "Configure Check-in" feature you can find on the "Check-in" tab of the Transport Studio of CMS.

As far as I know this directory structure gets created when you resave the CMS domain (Domain Data tab).

Permission issues:

If you face permission issues, then ensure that the OS user <SID>adm has access to these folders, ensure it has write permission for the transport folder and all its subfolders.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep,

Ask your basis team to place all the required sca's in cms inbox <transport folder>/CMS/inbox manually then update the cms landscape configuration.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

BK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

My basis guy has changed the permissions and now am not getting error message "Directory not found (Check existence and permissions): inbox" when i go to Check-In tab but here am unable to understand whether i need to search particular SCA or system displays it. When i search any component say SAPBUILDT it is giving me an error message " No matching entries found"

Please guide me on this.

Regards,

Pradeep B

pramod_gopisetty1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check the wiki:

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=235801968

Hope this helps.

Cheers-

Pramod

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can also do this manually.

You can go to /devinf -- CMS -- Landscape Configurator -- Track Data tab, and create a track from there.

See also http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/46/251429833a14dbe10000000a155369/frameset.htm

Still it is strongly recommended to run the DI All in one installation once in order to have your NWDI well configured

(if this finished succesfully, then there is no need to execute the "Creating a Domain" from the above mentioned document).

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

Thank you for your post, now i created a track but am facing an issue in Transport Studio.

When i go to Transport studio and check in tab i'm getting this error message "Directory not found (Check existence and permissions): inbox", the transport path which has been mentioned in Domain Data of track is "/usr/sap/trans/EPS/in/CMSxx1as1XX1".

I requested my basis team to provide the access to the path, they changed it and communicated to me that i will be able to access usr/sap/trans/EPS/in but still i face the problem.

Could you please guide me on this.

Regards,

Pradeep

p330068
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep

Please ask the basis team to provide the exact location of the CMS inbox directory in which all the required SCA files are placed.

Then you need to update the CMS landscape configurator > Domain data. Please check it [NWDI Track Update to Match withPortal Version|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/70d4531d-9235-2d10-06ab-c340933f3439]

Best Regards

Arun Jaiswal

Edited by: Jason Lax on Dec 28, 2011 2:36 PM (Fixed broken URL)

shreyas_pandya
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pradeep,

Please go through the below mentioned thread...

In this thread Ervin & I have clearly explained similar issue.

You'll understand the exact path of Transport directory that you are looking for.

Let us know about your findings.

Regards,

Shreyas Pandya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

To create a new track in NWDI , do this

Login to NWA through url http://<host>:<portno>/nwa -> click on Deploy and change then you will see

Configuration Wizard , in that "select Change Management Service (CMS): Create an Application Skeleton"

and click on start .

This will create a new track for you. Give the necessary information while performing this step.

Hope you this will helpful to you.

Thanks

Srikanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srikanth,

Thank you for the reply.

I'am seeing the CMS status as cancelled and only Resume, Re-execute buttons are active, start button is disabled.

How to move further here.

Regards,

Pradeep

Former Member
0 Kudos

Click on Retry option , it will create track .