Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSO Index on 0FISCPER (Fiscal Period)

former_member483612
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have the General Ledger: Line Items DSO (0FIGL_O02) which at the moment has about 12 million records in Production.

As expected, the performance of the queries on this DSO is very slow. So, I would want to create Index on the DSO. The query is mainly run by '0FISCPER' (Fiscal period).

My question is, can I create index on both 0FISCPER (Fiscal Period) and also on 0FISCYEAR (Fiscal Year)?

As I already have data in the DSO, should I delete all the data, create the Index and then reload the data OR can I create the index on the fly? If I can create the Index on the fly, will it take too long to complete the job (and also create too much of transactional log files)?

Is there any other way to improve the performance of the query on this DSO?

Thanks,

Sri.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

waqar_ahmed
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can create secondry indexes on dso, by simply draging and droping the characteristic into index folder of DSO.

Regards,

ray

former_member483612
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Ray,

By secondary index, you mean a primary index on 0FISCPER and a secondary index on 0FISCYEAR?

If yes, is there a way to mark them as primary and secondary?

Thanks,

Sri.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As said above you can create indices from the DSO maintenance. Right-click on the indexes folder, choose create new indices.

These are secondary indices.

No need to drop data from the DSO before transporting the DSO with indices. If you have more data, the import would take a bit longer.

former_member483612
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, I've now created the secondary indices - one on 0FISCPER and the other on 0FISCYEAR. Thanks a lot.

After creating the indices, I've executed the query by 0FISCPER in RSRT. I could see in the SQL Access Plan that the index on 0FISCPER has been 'Seeked' and the index on the 0FISCYEAR has been 'Scanned'.

What does 'Seek' and 'Scan' mean?

Thanks,

Sri.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Seek means searching for specefic values. Scan means searching entire data.

former_member483612
Participant
0 Kudos

So in other words, does this mean:

Seek: its actually using the Index to read the records with specific values

Scan: is scanning to check if the Index matches the query?

Thanks,

Sri.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you created same Index and added both the fields or 2 separate Indices for both?

I think you should go for Separate indices for the 2. As you are using them for variable restriction in report, i presume.

Former Member
0 Kudos

seek - index is read.

scan - index is not considered.

Answers (0)