BO XI R2 - "Blank "Crystal Reports Viewer" window - attempt to print report
My company recently set up a Business Object Enterprise XI Release 2 server. On the server are a number of crystal reports that are run interactively by users, through the user console. The expectation is that the user will log on to the BI server, click on the report title, enter the parameters, see a preview of the report in the Crystal Report Viewer, then click the print icon on the Crystal Report Viewer toolbar.
Our corporate standard is current Windows XP SP3, with Internet Explorer 8; By default, users are set up to use the DHTML report viewer. The reports were developed with the Crystal Reports XI R2 report designer, and connect to an Oracle 10g database through Oracle client.
When users attempt to view, then print the reports, the user is able to select the report, enter the parameters, view the report data, and even page through the report preview with no issues. However, when the user attempts to print the report by clicking the print icon on the Crystal Reports Viewer toolbar, a blank "Crystal Reports Viewer" window pops up and remains indefinitely.
The really puzzling thing about this issue is that for about 1/3 of our users, printing will work - a print dialog will appear, allowing the user to select a printer, and when the user clicks OK, the report will print. For the other 2/3 of our users, the blank "Crystal Reports Viewer" window pops up.
I have added the BO XI R2 server's address to trusted sites, adopted the lowest security settings for trusted sites, and enabled all activity I could think of in IE security settings (ActiveX controls-related). I also ran the web site in compatibilitiy mode.
Has anyone on this forum experienced this issue, and does anyone here know how to resolve it?
Ludek Uher replied
I suspect that this behavior occurs because the client computer is unable to download ActiveX controls.
The report viewer requires the PrintControl.dll to print reports from the client computer. The PrintControl.dll downloads automatically if it has not been previously downloaded on to the client computer, provided that the user that is currently logged on is able to download ActiveX controls.
To enable the download of ActiveX controls on the client computer, perform the following steps:
1) Open your Internet Explorer.
2) From the Tools menu, select Internet Options.
3) In the Security tab, select the web content zone that corresponds to your web application.
4) Click Custom Level.
5) In the Security Settings dialog box, scroll down to find the ActiveX controls and plug-ins section.
6) Select Enable or Prompt for the Download signed ActiveX controls item.
7) The print dialog box will now appear successfully when clicking the print button in the report viewer.
If the above does not help, try to troubleshoot this as follows:
1) click the print button (this will cause a postback to the web page) and then cancel the print dialog. right-click in the web page and select "View Source".
2) Search for the word "printcontrol.cab". This will show you where the application is trying to download the printcontrol from.
Paste the URL into a browser.
3) If you get prompted to "open or save to disk" the url is correct and there is a browser setting or possibly even a system policy preventing the download.
4) If you get a "404 page not found" or a similar error message, investigate the URL.
5) If the issue is on your local web server, see if it is possible to browse to the URL in IIS manager.