cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reclaim storage in DB2 9.7 with HWM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I've recently upgraded our ECC system from DB2 9.1 to 9.7.

As I could check from documentation, I'm not able to reduce HWM from tablespaces since they were created from an older version of DB2 prior to 9.7.

To workaround this issue I can export-import database or use DB6CONV for massive conversion.

Since I want to reduce a lot of tablespaces HWM, my strategy is:

1. export database

2. recreate tablespaces

3. import database

My doubt is, is there any other strategy less painful?

How can I recreate tablespaces?

regards,

FIlipe Vasconcelos

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Frank-Martin
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Filipe,

unfortunatelly there is no easier solution. The "reclaimable storage" attribute can not be switched on for tablespaces that have been created on pre 9.7 versions. Therefore data movement is required. As you already mentioned you only have the choice of the data movement procedure. Either you do a complete export/import of the system via a homogenous system copy with R3load or you move the data table by table using DB6CONV.

Regards

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Filipe,

You already mentioned the system copy, db6conv another option here would be to use the db2dart tool to reduce the HWM, for more details, you can refer to note 486559.

I assume that you are aware that with the latest versions of db6conv, you can sequentially reorg all tables in a tablespace with one job?

Also, you mentioned having to recreate the tablespaces with the system copy option, however if you decide on this route and do the R3load copy, sapinst takes care of this for you, and the process of R3load reorganises the data during the proceedure.

Which ever method causes the least hassle for you is a matter of choice. I would recommend trying the db6conv tool, db2dart method first as there is more overhead in organising a system migration.

Best Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Paul,

Thanks for your answer.

I've made some tests in a test system.

In fact the best way to reduce HWM is in release 9.7 for tablespaces created in that release and that accept ALTER TABLESPACE ... REDUCE MAX.

Since I have systems upgrader from prior release I have to re-create tablespaces.

I've used db2dart and it's quite rubbish!!!!

As you told me, sapinst will recreate database for me. So I think I will export-import database and after this point, I will make a ALTER TBSP.. REDUCE MAX in all tablespaces.

Thanks for your help.

regards,

Filipe