Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

system copy/migration

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello everybody,

I have plan to upgrade the WIN 2003 + SQL 2000(32- Bit) SAP installation to win 2003 + SQL2005 (64-Bit) platform.

I read the installation guide and Made a plan

1. Check for the BASIS Patch min. level 15

2. Delete QCM table

Tr. SE14, choose Extras->Invalid temp.table

We have not any BW client so I am generate the DDL statement

3. Now, Export the database by executing sapinst.exe and then

select ABAP system-->MS SQL server -->Unicode -->ABAP Database content export

and continue with the Export procedure.

On the Target system

1. Create a directory EXPORT and copied all the exported data.

2. Start the SAP installation, enter the required parameters up to the

window selecting the database instance installation method, on this

I will choose System copy/migration(R3load based)

3. provide the path of the Export directory.

4. Specify the order in which the package are loaded - I select alphabetical order

5. No other option will select on this screen.

Please suggest me, After the installation complete on Target system which steps need to be done.

I need to execute like STM tool execution, drop old procedure, update statics, etc.

I had done the Homogeneous system copy procedure using the Database specific

procedure Detach/Attach.

Also please suggest which method is suitable for Homogeneous system copy Detach/Attach or Export/Import

I hear SAP prefer Export/Import method

Thanks

Ganesh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ganesh,

Homogeneous Export/import method is preferable in your scenario.

Regards,

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ganesh,

If you are planning to change the platform such as HP-UX or AIX, or planning to perform a Unicode conversion, you should perform heterogeneous system copy (import/export method). Otherwise homogeneous copy is more feasible. It looks like that you should perform homogeneous copy with detach/attach method and perform some procedures for 32 to 64 bit conversion.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi!

I only migrate existing system from windows 2003 + SQL server 2000 (32-bit) to Window 2003 + SQL 2005 (64-Bit)

so it is Homogeneous system copy.

but I am confuse about which method is suitable - Export/Import or Database specific- Detach/Attach.

I had done the same using Detach/Attach method, but in that method I need to run STM tool, drop statics etc.

Now, I am trying the same using Export/Import so is this process also need to run STM tool and other procedure

that I had done in detach/attach, please suggest.

Also suggest which method is suitable because I will do on the PRODUCTION environment also.

Thanks

Ganesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ganesh,

I recommended Detach/Attach method at your case, because you just need to copy the database, upgrade it to 2005 and perform the 32 to 64 bit conversion procedure. Please note that you need to take into account collation change.

Choosing the suitable method depends to the size of the database as well, but I prefer "Detach/Attach" method, because the downtime is lower than import/export method. Plus, it is faster than import/export method, also. At the Import/Export method, you need more additional administrative overhead.

All in all, if you have know-how about SQL Server administration, I recommend Detach/Attach procedure. I applied this method at my customers, many times and it is working perfect and fast. Otherwise, you may choose import/export procedure.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi!

Please suggest If I go for the Export/Import does it need to any post processing like executing STM tool

or drop statics etc.

OR please suggest me the step for Export/Import.

Thanks

Ganesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ganesh,

Please search for "5.3 MS SQL Server-Specific Procedure" title, in the [system copy guide|https://websmp107.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000171822011E].

Everything is explained in the document very well.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing link.

I had already done Homogenous system copy using the Database specific( SQL server) procedure.

in that, After attach the database on the target system, i had require to run STM, drop procedure etc.

So I want to know after import on the target system is necessary to do any additional activity( post processing).

thanks

Ganesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, it is necessary to perform the follow-on actions as mentioned in the

system copy guide.

Regards,

Vishnu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>> After attach the database on the target system, i had require to run STM, drop procedure etc.

Yes, it is necessary.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi!

I want to know any post processing is required in homogeneous Export/import method copy method.

Thanks

Ganesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ganesh,

If you are running on SAP NWV 7.0, you don't need to do any other post operations. SAPInst performs all the steps by itself. Remember that you need to refresh stats after a sucessfull system copy operation.

Please check system copy guide and note 151603 - Copying an SQL Server database for the details.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Backup/restore & attach/detach methods are almost similar.

Only thing which needs to be noted here is that for pure ABAP system source system export is not required & for java or abap+java source system export is also required.

Anyway these things are clearly mentioned the system copy guide.

Regards,

Rajneesh

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi!

I am sorry, my installation is SAP ECC 5.0.

then which step required after import on the target system.

(using Export/Import process)

Thanks

Ganesh

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think is pretty obvious that if you have succesfully finished your Homogeneous System Copy, have gone through the steps listed in the system copy guide and tested your system the only post-processing required is the checks specific to your own landscape like file systems, third party tools that you might use, etc.

I don'y understand why you keep asking for post import steps.

Regards

Juan

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi juan

Actually, I had done the Homogeneous system copy using database specific method (in my case SQL server specific).

But now, i want to do same using the Export /import method, but when I gone through the system copy guide, I am not

found the post processing procedure. in my first post I mention the step that I will follow (as per system copy guide)

I am confuse about only after importing, any process need to be do or on the import process sapinst will doing itself

(Existing installation is SAP ECC 5.0, window 2003 Database- SQL 2000 (32 - Bit) and

on Target system SAP ECC 5.0, windows 2003 , Database SQL 2005 (64 - Bit).

Thanks

Ganesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ganesh,

Do not be confused.

You should apply STM including drop proc with sapinst on ECC 5.0. After the import procedure (post processing), because of the database is opened successfully, just refresh the statistics manually. From the NWV 70 on sapinst covers everything, automatically.

Everthing is explained very well in the [system copy guide|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/6945da7d-0c01-0010-1792-dd7b5d87235c?quicklink=index&overridelayout=true]

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi!

I will do today, till I have installed the SAP ECC 5.0 and completed the pre-requisite like BASIS patch should min. level 15 and updated kernel. I have done all the things. Now i will export the database and then install SAP on the target system using

import.

Thanks

ganesj