cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to start ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

i need you help because i'm needing to create a command line java tool to SIMPLY open an .rpt, set data to use and then export as PDF. No GUI, NO JSP.

What must i download, whata must i buy to realize this?

I

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member217070
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, realtebo,

You're probably going to want to use Crystal Reports for Eclipse (the CRJ SDK). It supports unmanaged reports (.rpt files sitting out in the file system). It's free and available [here|http://www.businessobjects.com/campaigns/forms/downloads/crystal/eclipse/datasave.asp].

The problem is that it's designed for use as a web application. We don't support it being used in a stand-alone Java application. That doesn't mean it won't work, just that if you have any problems with it, we won't be able to help you. I would suggest getting it working as a web application first, then seeing if you can get it going as a stand-alone.

Good luck!

Bryan

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I downloaded CR for eclipse 2.

All is 'quite' working froma a java app.

i've only a problem with an 'jndi name search error'. I'll try to explain.

In the RPT i use a DSN connection to a sql server into a differente machine. When I open directly the rpt, all is working.

From java code, i'll open the report, but when i try to export it tell me about an error 'jndi name search error', with the name of the connection i setup.

Why opening rpt all is working, but opening from code NOT is working ?

I know it's not the use you imagined for this libray, but i need to workaround this problem. What's the difference from two opening methods? Why an .rpt opened from java cannot just open the connection like when opened from cristal report !?

Mirko

Edit: added this following lines

My question is: why opening from java the rpt search for a JNDI when it's setup for a DNS connection ?!

former_member217070
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, realtebo,

We like to keep each thread to a single topic, so you should create a new thread for this new question. As it is, I doubt anyone is going to see it in here because "Where to start?" doesn't really have anything to do with JNDI errors.

Regards,

Bryan