cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating/Upgrading NWDI from 7.0 to CE 7.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Currently we have application developed on NW 7.0 (Web Dynpro, J2EE, EJB etc) and we have NWDI 7.0 for code repository.

Now we are planning to migrate the NW 7.0 (Web Dynpro, J2EE, EJB etc) to CE 7.1 (we have documents & procedure to do this).

My question is:

1. Does repository NWDI 7.0 supports for all kind of DC/applications if we migrate NW 7.0 (Web Dynpro, J2EE, EJB etc) to CE 7.1, If not what are the chanllenges?

2. Is it required to upgrade repository from NWDI 7.0 to NWDI CE 7.1? If so how we can achieve/migrate the code to NWDI 7.1

Please suggest.

Regards,

Patana

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Patana,

yes, on one hand the port 5xx04 (this is the P4 port) has to be used on CE for the deploy controller, and the user J2EE Administrator (if this is doublestack then this is the user "J2EE_ADMIN", if this is a standalone J2EE Engine, then this is the user "Adminstrator").

So a summary would look like this:

1. if the target runtime system is lower than 710:

deployment mechanism: SDM

port: 5xx18

user: No user specified, since here we have SDM

password: pass of the SDM user

2. if this is higher equal to 710:

deployment mechanism: Deploy Controller

port: 5xx04

user: J2EE Administrator

pass: pass of J2EE Administrator

Best Regards,

Ervin

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Patana,

ok, if the thread answers your questions please close the thread by marking it as answered, else feel free to ask.

Thank you and Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

As I am migrating my NW applications to CE, I have setup track for CE. And I have setup the runtime system in track as "Deploy ControllerDeploy Port" and specified the user with proper authorization.

But whenever I try to check-in and activate, activities are activated but queued up for deployment and never deploys.

What I notice is when I try to open "View/Edit Deployment Substitution parameter" in track runtime system, its giving me the error as The user '<user name>' could not be connected to the specified host '<server name>'and port '52518'.

Please suggest.

Thanks and regards,

Patana

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

52518 is the sdm port.

In ce, there is no SDM.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Could you please suggest me what parameters I should use in run-time system.

Thanks and regards,

Patana

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Thanks, Shreyas, I am also very glad to see that if I am away we have a very strong support (you).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Ervin & Shreyas, I will try to do as you guys suggested.

Regards,

Patana

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

SLD content update is necessary to have the latest softwares and their dependencies in SLD.

This is a necessary task time to time, not only due to this task you are doing right now.

It will not affect your existing tracks.

In order to update the SLD, proceed as per the note

#669669 - Updating the SAP Component Repository in the SLD

(http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/669669)

Best Regards,

Ervin

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

to achieve this, you can look for the strings "BUILD_TOOL_JDK_HOME" or "JDK_HOME_PATHS" in the mentioned document.

There are two simple rules:

- for BUILD_TOOL_JDK_HOME you always specify the highest JDK (in your case this is JDK1.5)

- for JDK_HOME_PATHS you list the available JDKs.

- JRE is not allowed, specify always JDK!

Example:

BUILD_TOOL_JDK_HOME = <path to highest JDK>

JDK_HOME_PATHS = JDK1.3.1_HOME=<path of jdk131>;JDK1.4.2_HOME=<path of jdk142>;JDK1.5.0_HOME=<path of jdk150>JDK1.6.0_HOME=<path of jdk160>;default=<path of the JDK as default, e.g. path of JDK1.4.2>

! Notice, for BUILD_TOOL_JDK_HOME you specifiy only a path to the highest JDK, while for the parameter JDK_HOME_PATHS you have to follow the scheme "key=value",

Now if this has been set up properly, then you need to go to the corresponding track and specify the build variant (see the guide for details).

- for your 700 track you can specify "com.sap.jdk.home_path_key = JDK1.4.2_HOME

(or leave it undefined (default, this case the default parameter will be used from your JDK_HOME_PATHS, see the bold text above)).

- for 710 you can use the parameter "com.sap.jdk.home_path_key = JDK1.5.0_HOME.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

Thank you very much.

In the document: HOW TO SETUP AN NWDI TRACK FOR COMPOSITION ENVIRONMENT DEVELOPMENT (SAP NETWEAVER CE 7.1) It has mentioned that we need to update CR components in SLD...is it really required? If so why? If I update to newest CR components in SLD is there any impact on my existing track & system?

Please suggest.

Regards,

Patana

shreyas_pandya
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Patana,

Let me give you some background first...

*1) Yes, NWDI 7.0 will support all the developments that you will be migrating to CE 7.1

2) There is no 7.1 version of NWDI, that means you ned not worry about NWDI version as, it is just a platform that acts as repository for your source code and version control.*

So you don't need to upgrade your NWDI.

But wait it doesn't mean that you don't have to upgrade anything from NWDI side .

As your Application Server will now be running on 7.1 version, you will have to get a compatible CE 7.1 version of developer studio too.

Also the Tracks that are present in your NWDI 7.0 version will be required to be upgraded with the latest build time dependent SCA files of the 7.1 version too.

This is a step-by-step guide for setting up NWDI for Composition Environment.

Link:[HOW TO SETUP AN NWDI TRACK FOR COMPOSITION ENVIRONMENT DEVELOPMENT (SAP NETWEAVER CE 7.1)|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/7014086d-3fd9-2910-80bd-be3417810c6f?quicklink=index&overridelayout=true]

To update all the tracks with the latest .SCA files, follow the below mentioned steps...

1) you need to copy all the standard .SCA files of 7.1 version from the path /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/EPS/buildarchives/ as mentioned in step 10 of the above manual to the CMS transport directory (<specified in the domain tab>CMSinbox) directory in order to make these dependencies available for your tracks.

2) Then, in SLD you have to modify all your software components that are used in track and replace all their build time dependencies to the 7.1 version.

3) Update the CMS,

4) Remove and add the tracks SCs back for your track.

5) Save the track, while saving always choose Save & Re-import button.

6) Check-In the latest 7.1 version SCA into Development and Consolidation tab.

You have repeat this for all the tracks.

Please revert in case of any further clarification.

You can also refer to the thread , for understanding how NWDI works under the hood.

Regards,

Shreyas Pandya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Shreyas,

I have one more question to ask.

In my existing NWDI (7.0), I have a Track where applications are developed using NW 7.0 (This is still in use).

We have separate Track (we have imported SCA for CE 7.1) where we are developing the application using NW CE 7.1.

In the document you mentioned: "HOW TO SETUP AN NWDI TRACK FOR COMPOSITION ENVIRONMENT DEVELOPMENT (SAP NETWEAVER CE 7.1)", where it has mentioned to change the JDK path to Java 1.5 in Visual Admin.

Please suggest me how we can progress with development of applications on CE 7.1 without disturbing the NW 7.0 (as we are still using NW 7.0).

Regards,

Patana

shreyas_pandya
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Patana,

What Ervin has suggested is absolutely flawless.

Please follow his instructions.

Dear Ervin,

Nice to see you back in the forum after a long time.

I was all alone replying here...(_)...welcome back.

Regards,

Shreyas Pandya