Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batch Management at Site level

nivin_varkey
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are planning to implement Batch Management for certain product ranges in our Organization. We prefer to activate Batches at site level. I mean at certain sites Batch need to exist and at others they need not.

I have checked the configurations but they all pertain to the configuration of Batch setting at Plant, Material and Client level in terms of Batch ID being unique or not.

Is there any configuration possible so at to facilitate this requirement ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Govind

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The closest match would be at Plant level since only this gives you a flexbility to enable batches at that level. If the definition of 'Site' is different than the plant definition then it is not possible to acheive in SAP.

nivin_varkey
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm sorry to create this confusion of 'Site'. What I meant was Plant.

We have 50 plants in our Organization.

I would like to know If we can activate batch management in just 2 of these plants. While taking Goods receipt, Doing Physical Inventory...etc only in these two plants should there be a batch recognition activity. All other plants should behave exactly the same way as it was before...i,e without batch. Is this possible ?

Regards

Govind

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes in general SAP allows to activate batch managment at plant level.

in this case the indicator in material master has only effect for the plant in which it is set.

nivin_varkey
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Jurgen,

Yes that is exactly my requirement.

But in OMCE (Define Batch Level) when I try to activate the Batch Level to "_Batch Unique at Site Level_" it gives me an error message.

"This type of conversion is not yet implemented".

How can we surpass this error ?

I go to OMCT (Batch Definition) and see that batch Level -> Conversion is set to inactive.

Please guide.

Regards

Govind

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So you are not in the beginning of a project, you are already live with a different batch level.

In this case you have to stay with your level and all plants have to use batches when a material is activated for batch managment.

nivin_varkey
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Jurgen,

Yes you are right.

We have 50 plants which are live from 2006.

There are transactions happening daily and there are over 800,000 articles.

Now 2 plants need to be active on batch management with around 1000 articles which are being used in several other plants (without batch).

Is this possible ?

Eg: Article 1234 is being used in Plant 2370 from 2006.

Now we need to go live with a new Plant 2400 from 2011 June. The article 1234 need to be used in this plant.

Is it possible that 1234 is maintained with Batch management in 2400 plant and not by Batch at 2370 plant ?

Regards

Govind

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you did not say if you already use batch management.

According to your earlier replies and what you see in IMG, I think you already use batches at a different level.

Easiest way to check is se16 at table MCH1, if there are records, then you already use batch management.

if there is no batch, then check OSS note 911975

if you have batches, then check Note 891902 - FAQ: Batch level

nivin_varkey
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Jurgen,

I checked MCH1 in production. There is no entries.

But in DEV system there are 23 entries. I believe these entries are a result of the testings done on Batch Management.

How do we get rid of these entries and activate batch for just 2 Plants ?

Regards

Govind

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you have to run archiving with SARA for object MM_SPSTOCK

This requires customizig for archiving. Further you may get errors and have to archive even more objects, it depends how the batches got created. e.g. if you had a process order and the receipt created the batch, then you have to archive the process order.

Of course the batches must not have any stock in current and previous period, otherwise they cannot be archived.

It is a bad situation to have batches in development client, you should have done the tests in a sandbox system.

nivin_varkey
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Jurgen,

Our concern is the same. Deducting stock from these articles in the previous period.

We have stock for 5 articles with different batches in the previous period.

I tried to archive but it gave me the messages on previous period stock.

What is the best way to deduct this stock.

Regards

Govind

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you can issue the stock in MIGO using 201 or 551 or 562 movement and a posting date of the prveious period.

You have to have equal or more stock in current period to perform a goods issue in a previous period.

if you have less stock, then you need to add stock first in current period using MIGO with 202 or 552 or 561 movement.

nivin_varkey
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Jurgen,

Issuing stock from previous period seems to be the solution as the article shows stock for period 11 of year 2010 in table MARDH

But the issue is that while doing so we get the error of posting to previous period: "Posting only possible in periods 2011/05 and 2011/04 in company code 2010 Message no. M7053 "

I believe this is because of the automated period closing that happens every month. We have only the current and previous month open for inventory postings. Any clue to surpass this message and post out the stock from these batches in previous period ?

Regards

Govind

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

MARDH has a special update logic, it gets only an entry for a period with a movement. if your MARDH shows period 11/2010, then you had no movement in this location for this material in the past months.

Dont look for MARDH if you material is batch managed, as batch releated history at storage location level is stored in MBEWH, which has the same update logic.

Further your automatic period closing does not really work well if you have still period5/2011 today with 04/2011 as previous period, as we already have June 5th.

Based on the above said, you should roll your period to 06/2011 first, and then you post the goods issue of previous period stock with a posting date of Mai (it does not matter if the MaRDH record is from 11/2010).

nivin_varkey
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Jurgen,

You are right.

I checked MMRV and the current status is as shown below.

Current period 06 2011

Previous period 05 2011

Last period in prev.year 12 2010

No I check in MBEWH and for the plant 2010 and article 381180 we have the folowwing entries.

YEAR CURR PERIOD STOCK QTY

2009 12 68.000

2010 12 68.000

2011 04 68.000

I try to do MB1A with movement type 551 for plant 2010 and article 381180 for the posting period 31.05.2011 with 68 Ea.

Batch chosen was 7000000001 as this was the batch shown while I tried to archive:

" MCHB: 000000000000381180 2010 0002 7000000001 unrestricted-use stock exists for previous period"

While I try to execute the transaction it gives me an error...

"Deficit of BA Unrestr. prev. 68 EA : 381180 2010 0002 7000000001"

Do you have any clue why is this error coming ?

I have done a stock replenishment to the batch 7000000001 in storage location 0002 for site 2010 on article 381180

Regards

Govind

Edited by: Nivin Joseph Varkey on Jun 6, 2011 9:43 AM

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You get this message because you have no stock of Batch 7000000001 in unrestricted-use stock exists for previous period.

MBEWH does not tell you anything about batches, MCHBH does.

You can as well use MB51 to list all movements for your material 381180 and batch 7000000001 in plant 2010

So you should easily find out how much stock you had at end of period 5 for this material.

SAP checks the batch number, the stock status, the quantity, for a material and plant number.

If there is anything that is not matching, then you get this message.

Are you sure that batch 7000000001 was in plant 2010 in May? (maybe a typo in the number)

Are you sure that batch 7000000001 was in unrestricted use status in May?

nivin_varkey
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Jurgen,

It was my mistake. The period closing was not proper.

I have carried out the period closing and the batches have been archived.

Now in the table MCHB, there are no records (previously there were 8 entries). All have been archived.

Now its seen that since MCHB is empty we should be able to activate the plant level batch maintenance via OMCT.

Hence I tried OMCT and applied the batch level to be unique at site level.

Unfortunately the error message still pops us as was initially : "This type of conversion is not yet implemented"

What could be the reason ?

Table entries still exists in MCH1, MCHBH...etc.

1. Is there any other archiving object which needs to be run for archiving these entries ?

2. Are these entries causing the obstacle in order to activate plant level batch maintenance ?

Regards

Govind

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is only one object for batch archiving which is MM_SPSTOCK.

Depending on the entries made in the selection screen, you either archive only the stock segment (MCHB) or the entire batch (MCHA and MCH1 and other tables)

In selection screen

- enter in section Restrictions only a checkmark in the box "Batches"

- enter in section Options only a checkmark in the box "Consider batch record without deletion flag"

nivin_varkey
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Jurgen,

I'm so thankfull to you for guiding me for so long. I believe we r begining to see some light nearby.

As suggested, I have done the checks and archived the documents.

Now the entries in MCH1 and MCHA fails to be archived.

MCH1: 000000000000381184 7000000019 Dependent Purchasing Documents Exist

MCHA: 000000000000381184 2270 7000000005 Dependent Purchasing Documents Exist

I went and tried to delete the article document for purchase document which was where the batch 7000000019 was used in (MB56). But it says the batch no longer exists. Thats true as we have archived the batch from MCHB !!!

How can we remove these entries now from MCH1 and MCHA ?

Regards

Govind

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

check with SE16 at table EKET if you have entries with that batch number in field CHARG.

if there are any, then try first with ME22N to remove this batch number from the PO.

If you are still not able to archive the batch, then you need to run archiving for MM_EKKO first.

nivin_varkey
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Jurgen,

I had been trying to delete the entries from the respective tables such as MCH1, MCHA...etc.

Now the entries have been archived from these tables.

MCH1 > 0 Entries currently

MCHA > 0 Entries currently

There were Open POs...subsequently there were open Rebates.

All had to be deleted and then the batches were archived.

FYI: The only entries that exist now is in MCHBH > 16 Entries.

But still we get the same old message in OMCT

"This type of conversion is not yet implemented"

Any clue ?

Regards

Govind

Edited by: Nivin Joseph Varkey on Jun 7, 2011 3:34 PM

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I really wonder how you could have MCHBH records after a succesfull archiving.

this must be caused by a program bug. when archiving you should always make sure that you have the most current OSS notes applied.

nivin_varkey
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Jurgen,

Seems like I have reached a dead end !!?!

Isnt there any way out for me to get rid of the entries in MCHBH ?

Could you let me know other related tables of Batch to see if entries exist in them too ?

Regards

Govind

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

use DB15 transaction

there you can enter the archiving object MM_SPSTOCK and SAP will give you all related tables.

nivin_varkey
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Jurgen,

No way

I tried all that I could to get rid of entries from the MCHBH table.But all efforts in vain.

Finally I tried Batch management for site in my sandbox system and it worked. Hence I finally go to believe that Batch works at plant level.

But for my Dev system unless I get rid of them I will not be able to transport the settings to production system.

Regards

Govind

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

looks like you have no other chance than contacting SAP for help

rafael_zaragatzky
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Govind,

What do you call "site" if not a plant?

BR