Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

13 line item dimension cube into BWA?

I have heard earlier that BWA does not support line item dimensions due to swap of data between blades. not sure this is still an issue.

My cube has 13 line item dimensions. For performane reasons, we created 13 line item dimensions as cube storing 240 million records and user want to analuse all this data.

I want to push this line item cube to BWA for better performance and like to know the impact.

thanks for advance replies.

Hello "Texas User",

let's set a few things straight:

1) There are no limitations using BWA for InfoCubes with line-item dimensions.

2) In general, WebI 3.x as well as Webi 4.x work well with BW and if you index your data with BWA, the queries will run faster.

3) SAP is continuously improving and optimizing the integration of BusinessObjects and SAP NetWeaver BW. Therefore, BI 4.0, BW 7.3, and BWA 7.20 "run better" than older releases. This is what every customer expects so there should be no surprise if SAP recommends to look at the most current release.

Looking at your specific case, yes, you can certainly index your InfoCube and make all data available to your users for ad-hoc analysis. For Webi, please make sure that the "query stripping" setting is turned on (otherwise way to much data will be read).

There is one critical issue that you must be aware of and educate your users about: The more dimensions a user add into his query drill-down (without proper filtering), the more data will be selected and the less effective BW Accelerator will be in speeding up the query. In your scenario, the worst case would be that a users creates a report with all 13 dimensions in the drill-down resulting in the selection of all 240 million records. These kind of queries will certainly exceed system resource limitations (memory and CPU) and will abort. It is essential that you tell your users not to behave in such a way. Filter your data sets to avoid such large data selections.

SAP Techology RIG

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question