Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export to Excel from ALV?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai Experts,

I have a runtime timeout error while export excel from ALV report. In my ALV contains 7,29,000 line items.

It is possible to export in excel.

2 REPLIES 2

Sandra_Rossi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi MRVASANTH,

when you have such a volume of data, you should design the program to run in background (this way, there's never any timeout). Instead of displaying the ALV, generate a CSV file on the server, and later you'll be able to download it to the frontend.

BR

Sandra

Clemenss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi MRVASANTH,

what ever the numerical value of "7,29,000" is, it may be more than 65536 rows. Also make sure that you do not populate more than 256 columns if you don't use Excel2007 yet. The Excel 2007 "Big Grid" increases the maximum number of rows per worksheet from 65,536 to over 1 million, and the number of columns from 256 (IV) to 16,384 (XFD).

Even 1048576 rows and 16384 columns may be not enough.

I don't know if [Ivan Femia's Excel background handling|/people/community.user/blog/2010/09/06/xlsx2abap--read-and-edit-your-excel-files-from-abap] will respect any limits, at least this way you may create nice excel sheets & workbooks in background without any time limit.

Regards,

Clemens