cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect database version in CHECK-OS-DB-VERSION

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are performing an upgrade to NetWeaver 7.3 on a Java-only stack that is running Portal components.

We have started at NetWeaver 7.0 EhP1, on LINUX RH-EL 5 and ORACLE 11.2.0.1. We got stuck on the database check. The system reported that our database version was too low. Since the installation is distributed with the ORACLE 11.2.0.2 kit and since we had planned to upgrade ORACLE anyway, I upgraded ORACLE at this point to 11.2.0.2.

We are still getting the message the database version is too low when the installation performs the OSDB check:

The log from /usr/sap/<SID>/SUM/sdt/log/SUM/CHECK-OS-DB-VERSION_nn.LOG shows:

<!LOGHEADER[START]/>

<!HELP[Manual modification of the header may cause parsing problem!]/>

<!LOGGINGVERSION[2.0.7.1006]/>

<!NAME[/usr/sap/<SID>/SUM/sdt/log/SUM/CHECK-OS-DB-VERSION_03.LOG]/>

<!PATTERN[CHECK-OS-DB-VERSION_03.LOG]/>

<!FORMATTER[com.sap.tc.logging.TraceFormatter(%d [%6s]: %m)]/>

<!ENCODING[UTF8]/>

<!LOGHEADER[END]/>

May 27, 2011 1:30:07 PM [Info ]: Operating system version is LINUXX86_64 2.6.18, database version is ORA 11.1.0.0.0.

May 27, 2011 1:30:07 PM [Info ]: Configuration file /usr/sap/<SID>/SUM/sdt/config/CheckOSDB.xml not found.

May 27, 2011 1:30:07 PM [Info ]: Configuration file /usr/sap/<SID>/SUM/sdt/config/CheckOSDB_UNX.xml not found.

May 27, 2011 1:30:07 PM [Info ]: Reading configuration file /usr/sap/<SID>/SUM/sdt/config/CheckOSDB_ORA.xml.

The log is reporting our ORACLE version as ORA 11.1.0.0.0. We never installed that version directly. When we upgraded to ORACLE 11, we went from ORACLE 10.2.0.4 directly to ORACLE 11.2.0.1.

Does anyone know where the system getting this information on the ORACLE version and how can we correct that information to reflect the true installed version of ORACLE?

Thank-you,

Deb Nugent.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

During initial database and OS check in preparation phase of the upgrade, tool store database version information in the log files, that might be one of the reason it is picking wring information.

I would suggest you to start upgrade again.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

After I confirmed that my ORACLE database was at 11.2.0.2 and my ORACLE client was installed at the higher version (per previously helpful suggestions here), I restarted the installation. I am still getting the same error in the installation screens nad the same issue seen in the logs - the installation is convinced that the ORACLE version is 11.0.

When I started the upgrade to NetWeaver 7.3, I was already at 11.2.0.1 for ORACLE. The ORACLE client was a flavor of 10 since that was the only compatible version when we upgraded ORACLE to 11.2. The installation should have seen the correct ORACLE version from the beginning and allowed me to continue.

I will try to restart the upgrade from the beginning. I am not certain this will change anything as I started with the correct version of ORACLE but I will try.

Deb Nugent.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sunny,

I think that may have done the trick. I have no idea why but I think I am now past that check.

I used the "Back" button in the SUM to get back to the original start screen. Then I went through the checks again. This time, ORACLE is at 11.2.0.2 and the ORACLE client is an 11.2 client. It seems to have gotten past the failure as it now reports it is in the Pre-Processing phase (the failure I was seeing was in the "Checks" phase).

So thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!!!

Deb Nugent.

jrg_engel
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

during Upgrade a Java System to 731 I got the same error with SUM. But in my system the switch to Oracle Client 11.2 wasn't complete. I had to change the line "rdbms.driverLocation=/oracle/client/11x_64/instantclient/ojdbc14.jar" in the file "../j2ee/cluster/bootstrap/bootstrap.properties" and after a restart of SUM it works.

Joerg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Make sure that you have also upgraded the oracle client version, I faced teh similar issue and upgraded the oracle client as well to version ORACLE Client V5 10.2.0.4 ( 51039412 ). Please update the same and then it should reflect the correct version.

Regards,

Sarita

Former Member
0 Kudos

As apart ofhte upgrade to OARCLE 11.2.0.2, it requires you to also upgrade the ORACLE client. I have previously upgrade the ORACLE client to the latest released version from SAP, 11.2. As a precaution, I have also renamed my original ORACLE client directory so that it cannot be accessed (in case I missed something in my isntallation of the client).

I do not know how to test the version of my ORACLE client. I can run BRTOOLS successfully and using that I also checked my database version which correctly shows 11.2.0.2.

Deb Nugent.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

After upgrade you have to start database in upgrade mode and run catupgrade.sql script which resides in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms

then shutdown database and start normally it will pick the new version

catpatch.sql and util112i.sql check these ones aswell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank-you for the suggestion. I had previously run the catupgrd.sql script as a part of the ORACLE upgrade process. Since it can normally be run more than once, I reran it again when this error appeared after I had upgraded ORACLE. It reports that the database is already at 11.2.0.2

Deb Nugent.