cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

check next number (activity code)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good day experts.

This is the issue we are currently importing a SFC into the system or using the supplier barcode for the SFC inside visprise. We unfortnately use two diferent product types from the same supplier where the two don't really have any differeneces. The products are hard drives one is 40 gig and the other is a 80 gig, but inside visprise we are having troubles keeping the product seperated.

We are wanting a way to check the barcode, because the part number is inside this barcode from the supplier to seperate the two inside visprise.

I thought about using check next number activity code, but unfortnately this isn't getting the job done. I was wondering if I was doing something wrong. As of right now I have the acitivity codes create SFC as Pre-start and check next number as a pre-validate start. I have tried changing the hook point, but nothing seems to work. I can force it to not work at all or work for everything.

I have a setup the next number maintenance and I can print out the correct barcode for this material, but I can't prevent us importing a incorrect barcode.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We discourage use of Check Next Number in SAP ME now. The Mask validation logic is much more versatile. Please look at the Mask Gorup defined in Material Maintenance and at EN521 (Check Mask Validation).

Check Next Number is very limited in the types of values it can check. In particular, the prefix/suffix must be a static value.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Basically this is what is happening. We are 'importing' Barcodes into the data base. Problem lies we have two materials that are very close to each other (both hard drives) they are getting mixed inside the test equipment causing us to much down time. I was reading up on the activity codes and was wondering how next number maintenance or mask valiation was working inside SAP ME. To try and prevent the confusion.

The biggest differences between the materials, that concerns SAP ME, is the barcode format. The two different part numbers are inside the the supplier barcode that is given to us, which we are currently using for our SFC in SAP ME.

It isn't a requirement for me to use SAP ME, but I was exploring every avenue. If it is true that these only work at the specific points that the help site is suggesting i will try a different avenue, this is looking very possible right now. I have tried using the activity codes with no luck in succeeding in the goal.

IntegrationCPI
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Stwebb ,

Appericiate if you can give more details on this .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, I tried it with the activity code of check mask validation, but unfortnately I can't accomplish my goal. i tried doing the necessary setups for the activity, but the system is still allowing any number format as a valid SFC. I don't get any errors right or wrong format for the SFC.

The goal is to be able to insert a invalid SFC and have the system reject the value of the SFC.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I suspect EN521 does not work on all hook points. Citing help.sap.com: "This activity is commonly used with inventory receipt, discrete and time-based assembly, resource load or replenishment, or when an SFC number is serialized". It's a pity, but really only mentioned hook points may work. E.g., Serialize works.

Regards,

Anton