cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle 1031 error when starting DB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are experiencing a very strange Oracle issue. We are installing new instances on Oracle 10.2.0.4 on Windows 2008 (2008 new to us). When we attempt to logon to Oracle sqlplus /nolog, connect /as sysdb, startup, we are greeted by and ora-01031 -- which is usually a fairly easy fix. We found that when we enter 'startup' and the second time, we get the same error -1031. But, when we do startup a third time, the db starts up normally. I having problems finding oracle tools/traces/logs that log before the db is started. I have ran a network sniffer, and absolutely nothing was happening (network wise) after startup command is issued. The DB is stable at this point. And in fact we can do anything during this session. If we log off of the server and then back on, the connection is strange again and we have to enter commands three times again before we get a correct response. This is a problem during sap install as the sapinst is logging off and on through its script and starting and stopping the db. Any help/response/anything would be greatly appreciated.

--Jack

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184473
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jack,

Do the following:

cmd

R3trans -d

notepad trans.log

And past the trans.log result.

Also, note [400241|http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/400241] maybe helpful.

Regards,

Eduardo Rezende

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This turned out to be a computer time setting issue. The computer was set to Time Zone Pacific and we are in an Eastern Time Zone. This was mistakenly set (or defaulted to) during the install of the server. The time sync's with the domain controller, but the time zone (local setting) was incorrect. Once we set it to Eastern Time (like our DC's), the problem went away. As a test, we set it back to Pacific and rebooted and it was broken again. Solved!

Former Member
0 Kudos

r3trans.exe runs successfully. The connection is find. It seems to be just the startup -- being the issue. The connection is working, but issueing the command for startup has an issue, but then works after the 2nd attempt to 'startup.'

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

DO a tail -100f on alert log file next time when you are trying to start database and paste the log here ..

Please have a look at this note

Note 21086 - NT: Database backup terminates with ORA-01031

Thanks,

Deepthi

Edited by: deeptss on Jun 2, 2011 7:19 AM

former_member182034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Jack,

would you share the solution with other SDN users.

If your query is answered then close this thread because if you opened more than 10 thread then you cannot create new thread.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your suggestions; however, the problem still exists. Remember the problem is odd in that upon the third connection attempt, the connection is successful.

-- The sqlnet.ora file already exists and it includes the line you specified.

-- When I run r3trans -d, I get:

2EETW169 no connect possible: "connect failed with DBLI_RC_LOAD_LIB_FAILED." r3trans finished (0012)

I will look this up, but figure that it is likely a generic message.

I will look at the suggested notes.

The account is included in all of the groups mentioned.

Any further help, ideas, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I cannot (for the life of me) figure out how to increase loggin in Oracle to capture this failure to connect (like in the oracle alert log)...

--Jack

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your suggestions; however, the problem still exists. Remember the problem is odd in that upon the third connection attempt, the connection is successful.

-- The sqlnet.ora file already exists and it includes the line you specified.

-- When I run r3trans -d, I get:

former_member182034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi jack,

To solve this issue,

create a file named sqlnet.ora in

\network\network\admin

folder and add the following line:

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES =(NTS)

Save the file.

After that try to connect with