cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extend UNSPSC Hierarchy

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have one question in relation with the UNSPSC code ( the load of this standard hierarchy was succesfull in BW)

We have integrated MDM and BW. I extract the "global material" of MDM wich is associated with the local material (transactional data in BW) of the differents companies. This Global Material should be associated with UNSPSC code. However, the last level of UNSPSC code is the commodity. So, is there a way to add a level (Global material) in the standard hierarchy of UNSPSC code ? I need to extend the hierarchy with the global material level in order to put the materials associated with these commodities.

One way is to put the materials associated with the UNSPSC in other column for reporting, but I need to show the materials in the hierarchy form.

Regards,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In SPM there is a functionality called 'Navigational Dimension' where you can link 2 dimensions together as a hierarchy. We have several navigational dimension that we provide out of the box. A good example is 'Time' navigational dimensions, it has 2 hierarchies one of calendar and another for fiscal.

For calendar the system starts with Calendar Year as the first dimension when the user click on any specific year, the system drills to calendar quarter, then to calendar month and so on.

In your case looks like you have UNSPSC hierarchy which is hierarchy of global material and second dimension is local material. So I would recommend to build a navigational dimension with first dimension as global dimension (which has a bw hierarchy) and second dimension as local material. Now when a user runs a report with this new navigational dimension, they would first navigate the UNSPSC hierarchy and when they reach the lowest level any further navigation will jump to local material. Below is an example hopefully will explain:

UNSPSC hierarchy

Root
     - Office equipment
          - Office Machines
               - Duplicating machines
                    - Photocopier
               - Printer supplies
                    - Toner

Local material

HP Color printer 123

HP B&W printer 345

HP C&B printer 234