cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using the report : RVBCONVMAT2BM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts ,

We want to active shelf life management in the material masters for @ 2000 items. For this the pre-requisit is to activate the batch for all these items. Since we have already stocks & material documents existing for these materials , we wanted to use report : RVBCONVMAT2BM (Sets the batch management requirement indicator) . But unfortunately we did not qualify for 2 pre-requisits mentioned to use this report i.e

1. R/3 system should not be integrated with other industry solution

( But we are on industry solution MIMI ( mining & mills)

2. R/3 system should not be linked with components such as APO.

( But we are also integrated with APO)

We have no idea of implication, if we use the above report in these conditions . If we want to activate the batch management for the existing aterial we have clear all the stocks & docs for all these material , which needs plenty of efforts & correctness. the other solution is to create new material masters & activate the batch management , but we will be losing the track of all movement history ( & procurement history).

can you please suggest , what should be the most appropriate route we should follow in this situation.

(Can we link the histories of existing material in the new material , if we have to create new maerial masters). Kindly advice

Thanks & Regards,

G.Srinivasa Rao

Materials Management Systems Analyst

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I hope you have read OSS note 533276 and Note 533383.

SAP has a service called SLO which can help you doing this (for money)

You are not really loosing history if you create new materials, because the history is still in your system with the old material number.

If you enter the old material number in the new material (field BISMT) and maybe even the new material number into the same field of old material then you have a reference that can be used in matchcodes, and people can find the materials belonging to each other for analysis.

But a much bigger issue are usually other master data, you probably have infor records, source lists, bill of materials. contracts, all this has to be created again if you create new materials.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you all for the responses . It is true that I will not lose any history of the old material , but when some one make procurement proposal & use ME2M kind of T-codes for the previous procurement histories , it will not be of any use . My worry is the consumptions will not be availble for the MRP controllers to refer, while they convert planned orders to PRs . the old material number in most of the times used as a reference.

Some ERP's like Maximo has a facility , wherein if you put the cross reference , it will take you to that reference material , without any intervention.

Can you guide me , how i can use SLO ( is it as a consultancy purpose). Can any one guide me explaining the implication in using the subject report with these exceptions . Kindly guide.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am actively following this thread as I am going through this painful process of creating new materials, info rec, source lists and making the substitutions on any open PO's and contracts. If there is an "easier" method to activate batch management without creating new materials, I am all for it.

Regards,

Shauna Douglas

MM/WM/BW Analyst

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I cannot tell you how the reports work, because I dont have these reports in my system.

I know the reports here from the forum and from the OSS notes.

I wonder how you could get the reports into your system. This is usually only possible be requestion the reports from SAP by following the way that is outlined in the notes.

And as the notes already explain, you need a project to make the reports ready for use.

This can be done by you (if you have the know how internally) or by a SAP certified IT company, or by SAP theirself.

Homepage of SAP SLO is https://websmp103.sap-ag.de/slo

Here you can read what they do and how to contact them.

But first you should try the contact given in the OSS notes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for the reply. We have not tried the report yet & we have a project team dedicated for implimentation. We are now refrained our selves to contact SAP for the report because we are not not qualified in 2 of the 5 conditioned mentioned by the report author. Our teams are in dailama now whether to source this report from SAP / not. Instead , if we can get a consultancy from SAP with regards to this issue would be of great use.

We have around 2000 SKUs to be batch mainatained & we have already established adequate histories for these items. My SAP team suggests me to create new material masters & transfer the stocks after batch activation, which is easier process.

Can any one explain me the difficulties in clearing the stcoks from previous period (month)& from the current period (month), whould it change the moving average price (MAP) of the items in any instance or what are the risks involved in doing this activity , as this is only the major activity to be carried out & may have financial implications.As we want to keep the same material master numbers & to activate the batch . Kindly advice

Thanks

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

clearing inventory from previous and current period will usually not effect prices.

if stock in previous period is less than in current period, then you issue the previous period stock e.g. with 551 movement and a previous period posting date. Followed by a 551 movement for the remaining stock in the the current period.

if the stock in previous period is bigger than in current period, then you need to create stock in current period first, add as much as needed until current period stock and previous period stock are equal.

use 552 to create stock with current period date, then issue the previous period stock e.g. with 551 movement and a previous period posting date.

Then you switch on batch managment.

then you add your stock again (with batch number) in previous and in current period.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The most appropriate route depends on what business requires.

There is always a trade-off that needs to be agreed upon in such situations.

You can opt for stock flush out and activation if you can reduce the number of materials.

Else you can opt for creation of new materials and linking the existing material as Old Material Number for the new one.

This might require re-doing of any Z reports or creation of new ones for reporting.

Hope this helps.