Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving : Change of Logical File Name & physical path

ashish_vikas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello friends,

We are doing archiving for a Z* archiving object.

We run a write job(not delete job till now) for this archiving object and it created archive files in .../SYS/GLOBAL directory as was expected from settings of Logical File Name and hence physical path corresponding to it. So far no problem..

Now, requirement is to change this path and for this i created a new Logical File Name with a different physical path.

My concern is, about already archived data in older path. Should i only run delete job for that session ?

Or should i copy the archive files to new path and then start delete job OR do a write job once again..

please suggest.

thanks

ashish

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you have changed the path of the transfer directory and you still have files sitting there my best guess is that you could simply move the files to the new transfer directory and run the deletion, in anycase the worst case scenario is that the archiving run doesn't find the file.

Regards

Juan

ashish_vikas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Juan,

Ok, i can copy the files, those are not too many as we did it only for 2 months selection.

Can i go for write job again for same selection ? If yes, probably it will create a new session.. correct ? and then i will go for deletion for new session.

If this is also correct way, i want to do this.. as till now this has been one for only 2 months and we are going to do for 8 yrs.

One more question, will the be any problem for having 2 sessions for same selection.. means 2 write or archive job for same selection.

thanks

ashish

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can i go for write job again for same selection ? If yes, probably it will create a new session.. correct ? and then i will go for deletion for new session.

I don't see the need to run another write job for the same selection, if you moved the files to the new transfer directory then you should be able to run the deletion job. BTW, are you using a content repository?...

Regards

Juan

ashish_vikas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

No, I am not using Content Repository.

We also do not plan to store arch files in any optical drive now. It will be stored on Filesystem only which is specific to one SAP system.

I missed to mention in my previous message :

As i have changed the Logical File Name, name of physical will be also of different patten.

thanks

ashish

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I will try to run the deletion anyway as it should use the name of the file that the write job created, so it shouldbn't have an effect of files create previous to the change. At least thats my best guess.

In anycase, take a backup of the system and execute the deletion, if successful then check that the archived documents are accessible. If all ok then just keep archiving. 😄

BTW, If you are planning to keep 8 years of archived data, I will strongly consider to plan for a proper content repository in the near future.

Regards

Juan

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Another suggestion... if you are not sure of how those changes will affect the archived documents don't test with real objects, use the EXAMPLE archiving object and test prior going aheah, that way you wont risk having an issue with actual data.

Regards

Juan